Oil change trouble - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 11-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Baden-Württemberg
Oil change trouble

Hi guys,

I've just done my oil change on my 159 1.75 TBi, and I noticed the shop sent me the wrong oil. I've ordered Fuchs Titan GT1 5W40 and they sent Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro C-3 5W30.
I had no choice but to pour this one - 4 liters and add from the old 5W40 oil the rest of ~1 liter, to be able to move the car.

I see both are ACEA C3 rating, and as far as I know, only the viscosity varies a bit between them. I would have to drive 1500 km in the next 3 days. Should I push for a new oil change right now, or later after the trip ? Or just leave it like this for a normal 8-10K km change ?

Second question: at the service they were surprised that the old oil is black. They said for a petrol engine it should be clean/transparent after 10K km. Is this true ? I thought it always becomes black, even after 1000 km.

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
I think oil becomes black very quickly in a diesel-engined car. For petrol engines it shouldn't really go black. But I know nothing about cars so someone will be along to explain things better!
AO Platinum Member
The engine is spec'd with a 5W40, so use a 5W40, not a 5W30

This engine has had issues with the turbo even when using the correct oil, so I wouldn't be pouring the wrong one in!!
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
itll be ok for a few weeks but i would get it changed before the winter definatly
AO Member
County: -

5W30 will be thinner than 5W40 at normal/high engines temperatures...
If you continue to use that oil, you'll probably experience some oil consumption.
But that will be the minimum problem. That engine is known as being very sensitive in terms of oil, even with degradation of the correct oil.

My opinion is that the cost now could be a fraction of the cost in the future
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
I would contact the place you got it from and explain whats happened and that you had no choice but to use it as you had already drained the oil and hopefully they will send you the correct stuff for free.
but even if you have to pay again you should put the correct stuff in there, its only about 30. Much cheaper than a new turbo.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 11-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Baden-Württemberg
Thank you all for the comments!
I am not at home, but visiting my parents in a different country, and I did the oil change here. I will call the shop and maybe get some sort of compensation in the future, but it's no use for the moment, as I'm 1200 km from them and need the car running.
In the meantime I found a local supplier of Fuchs (that's my current engine/transmission oil choice) and I will get a another batch of oil with correct rating, and do the change ASAP. Probably 20-30 km driving with this wrong oil, and then everything will be resolved.
Unfortunately I have no new oil filter for this second replacement, but I think this should not be such a big problem.

Cheers !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

change , oil , trouble