Indications the Steering rack is about to go? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Indications the Steering rack is about to go?

Firstly, I have this under control with AutoLusso and hope they'll be able to help me fund this via a warranty, as they've diagnosed a fair amount play in the rack. I still have the "wrong" fluid - too late to change it now.

But - just in case because I will drive long motorway miles for work in the meantime - other than a pool of fluid on the floor, what are the signs, if any that I may lose my steering at any moment?

Noisy pump?
Grinding rack?

At the moment all I can hear a slight wine inside the cab when steering, but I want to know if I can predict when I should stop driving the car, if that moment is not already here, rather than finding myself going straight on around a bend at 70mph...

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex
Mine started to leak and sprayed a small amount of oil onto the front wheel arch. That was the only sign I got.
AO Member
County: Norrbotten
My old 2.2 JTS had a screaming pump below minus 15C
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

159 Lusso JTDM

My 1.9 JTDm made a lot of noise when turning the steering wheel but that was down to a leak and lack of fluid in the system. Unfortunately the leak originated from the rack so a new rack had to be fitted.
County: Devon

Member car:

Always good to check for rust on the rack bar. If you check both ends by pulling back the gaiters and hoping your rack bar is still nice and shiny
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
Its not the wrong fluid that causes the racks to fail, its the poor design that makes them draw in air and moisture when the gaitors expand and collapse with the actions of the steering which then causes the inside to rust which damages the seals.
Once a year on my car I pull back the gaitors, clean out the moisture and brush the rack bar with pas fluid to try and stop it failing after spending 500 on a new rack a few years ago.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

indications , rack , steering