My Mother's Day present - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By riczito
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 03-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Paris / Ill de France
My Mother's Day present

Here in France, Mother's Day was on May 31st. So I went to fetch my in-laws for lunch. Sitting quietly at a red light, minding my own business. It was raining lightly. Suddenly, BANG! I was rear-ended by a Peugeot driven by a young lady who lost control of the car under braking, and hit me doing 50km/h.

Nice Mother's Day present, eh?

Still, as you can see, the Alfa won. The upside of these cars being heavy is that they're built like tanks. It's still perfectly driveable, although the exhaust tailpipe is slightly bent, giving it a low, growly sound that's a bit too loud for my taste.

I'm now waiting for the whole insurance/repair merry-go-round to kick off. Lovely. <sigh>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11334005_10153400667882375_4565410297296435924_o.jpg (197.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 11270263_10153400667622375_8465541497788941249_o.jpg (147.8 KB, 10 views)

2009 159 Ti 2.4 QTronic. Remap + EGR delete + DPF remove.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Belgium

Member car:

159 jtdm 1.9

That is a shame, Riczito.

What can we say to comfort you?

It could have been much worse?
Lucky it wasn't a heavy car like your 159 that hit you?
The Peugeot has suffered considerably more from the crash and you were driving the
It seems obvious you will win the insurance case.

Cheer up!
AO Silver Member
County: Saint Ann Parish

Member car:

SV JTS 24V V6 Q4

I don't know how it works in France i should imagine it's the same as in the UK as we're all in the EU. But you can book your car in at a garage of your choice, get a car from where you like ( not the cheap little box on four wheels ) they will offer you. You don't even have to inform your insurance Co as your not at fault. Just take it into an insurance appoved body shop & they do all the leg work for you. They can even get the car and bill the other party whilest the work is being carried out. So not stress on your behalf ringing your insurance and whilst your insurance Co awaits a response. Just give the body shop the other parties insurance details
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 03-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Paris / Ill de France
Hi Iambrera, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I've already been on the phone to the insurers and they say that the car will have to be looked at by an expert first, before starting the repairs. They're very big on paperwork and procedure here in France. It's a country of bureaucrats :-( Still, despite that slight inconvenience, it shouldn't cost me anything, as I'm not at fault.

I have a local Alfa garage who know this car, they prepared it for me when I bought it, so I'll drop it there to wait for the expert. With a bit of luck, it'll be the Alfa guys that supply the temporary replacement car, too :-)
IAMBRERA likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

day , mother , present