Help with knocking after suspension upgrade - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 26-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
Help with knocking after suspension upgrade

I am hoping to pick the brains of this forums vast experts who may have had similar issues I am facing.

At the weekend I went through the horrific process of replacing my suspensions coils which were the original set with Eibach pro’s lowering the car by around 35mm. I didn’t have the funds to switch the shocks as it would have been another £400 and on inspecting the original shocks are all operating well. Whilst we were dismantling the suspension we also swapped all 4 drop links for more sturdy and durable looking units.

The car now drives well and it has given it back its responsiveness and firmed up the spongy ride.

However it has now started knocking all over the show both when hitting bumps and also to a lesser extent when driving along smooth roads. I have had both upper arms changes in the last 2.5 years including the driver side only a year ago so I cannot see those failing already. We checked the anti-roll bar for play and it was nice and tight. I silicon sprayed all bushes exposed when taking the strut out but it is still making all kinds of noises.

Could the springs going in cause pressure elsewhere creating issues that were not there before in anyone’s opinion?

I am loath to spend anymore money having just blown £400 on the upgrade so any suggestions would be greatly welcomes?

Would you advise adding silicone grease to all ball joints and bushes?

The only thing I could think of is the track rod ends are still original and perhaps the additional stress on these is causing the knocking? As they are a cheap part and simplish to fix would you guys recommend I replace?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

knocking , suspension , upgrade