1.9jtdm injector removal - how to? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm 2007

1.9jtdm injector removal - how to?

Hi anyone know what's the best tool to remove bosch injectors with?

I tried pulling it by hand but it's solid, so have soaked it with plusgas and left overnight, if it's still stuck I'll need to buy a puller, but not sure what type?

Reason for removal is juddering between 1500-2000 rpm, one injector is louder than the others and seems to be making a ticking/clicking noise.

I've fitted a new EGR and blanked it off, dpf regen made no difference, so ordered a refurb injector....

P.S no fault codes showing.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

The best tool is a hammer and whatever you can get your hands on to grip the injector, last time i did it i've used the injector retaining clip thing, turned it upside down, supported it in the middle and whacked that with a hammer, also, petrol might be better thing to use to dissolve all the stuff there.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
If you can, get multiecuscan and look at the correction values, might well save you some hassle in case it's ok

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
I think gently gently catchy monkey first rather than whacking with hammers.
I just pulled and swapped all 4 of mine , they had had water down the well and rust had built upon bodies and well.
Attachment 506282
Attachment 506290

you want to try to break any mechanical lock that's on the bodies by rotation first rather than trying to pull up on something that's locked in 6inches deep.
think of it as someone glued in on purpose , would you try to pull em out straight up or twist it first to break the bond then pull up.

once the injector holding claw is slackened of, I only had to back and forth(don't try to force it all one way,or the nut will undo) on the large nut holding the solenoid on (large adjustable spanner) and ratlle it back and forth a few degrees(the holding claw will only allow a few degrees movement to gradually break the hold and continued until felt slack, might be luck but all 4 came up no problem.
of course I had no seal blow by, but I would still attempt this first.
does your have signs of blow by ?black gunk in and around the injector wells?
I just coated the 4 I fitted in ceramic grease rated to 1500c so hopefully no rust and easier pull out in future(on the bodies only, not near the copper seal face or near tip)

Last edited by sussexa; 02-12-15 at 20:06.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 25-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 1.9jtdm 2007

Thanks, have checked the correction values, they seem to fluctuate from minus 1.8 to plus 1.8 on injectors 2 and 4. But when checking another time all were within +/- 0.5.

Will now have to wait till next weekend, but I'll have another go at wiggling it out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

19jtdm , injector , removal