159 nearside knocking when braking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-05-15 Thread Starter
County: -
159 nearside knocking when braking

Bought last week, just noticed an odd knock when braking. It's a single knock/thud on the nearside when slowing below 30mph, at times it seems to be from the front wheel, or further back towards rear wheel.

Anyone got any ideas for possible cause?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
This could be many things but none to much to worry about. Top or bottom wishbone, shock absorber plastic shroud or possibly broken spring.

Worst case it could be like my wife's and the root cause hadn't been found in three years but hasn't got worse either. Hers drives straight as an arrow, no unusual tyre wear and no unusual cornering characteristic. It has been to two independents and neither can pin point it.

One of the two independents (a well known one here) it is driving made because they can't find it and that bugs them. They have event spent quite a few hours free of charge looking for it.

It is similar but different to yours. Hers is loudest when loaded and not normally under braking but is sometimes. It is like yours on that it seems to move, sometimes sounds low down at the front and sometimes sounds like it is higher or even from the rear. Hers isn't intrusive and doesn't do it all the time.

Good luck finding it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 16-05-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Thanks for the info, it is a bit weird that the source shifts but reassuring to hear it's not so rare!
So this is Alfa ownership
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 Lusso

Was this issue ever resolved because I have the exact same thing happening. Jacked up the rear and pulled on the ARB and both wheels, all seems fine. Brakes look good. There is a big plastic panel on the off side which I might look behind at the weekend but as yet I'm having no luck.
I even emptied the boot and really clamped the spare wheel down in the hope it was that but alas no. Checked the wheel nuts were up to torque and they're fine too.
Any more ideas would be welcome.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , braking , knocking , nearside