Alfa 159 Aftermarket Window Regulator Installation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 14-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Alfa 159 Aftermarket Window Regulator Installation

Hey guys,

Common problem, I know. Those damn window regulators.

So, this is my 3rd electric window to go belly up, but the first one that's actually needed an entire new regulator due to the cable being chewed up.

I ordered a new rear left window regulator from Mick's Garage. Great price & very fast shipping considering I'm in Australia. Now, it did say that it was an aftermarket regulator and that it may look different to the original Alfa 159 regulator, but I was assured that it would fit and work. I also read about aftermarket regulators being fitted in Alfas.

Now my issue is, for the life of me, I can't work out how the regulator clip (plastic V shaped piece) that holds the window in place fits to the new regulator. Both my dad & I have been looking at it for hours on end and can't work out how on Earth this is all supposed to work. We (I should say he) have already fixed the rear right door before, so are versed with how the clip fits into the regulator, but this new aftermarket part just doesn't make sense… to us.

I've attached a few pics to try and outline the issue in hopes that someone here may have an answer to our dilemma.

Pic 1 is the original regulator & pic 2 is the original regulator with the regulator clip separate. Pic 3 shows the aftermarket regulator I purchased from Mick's Garage & pic 4 shows the aftermarket regulator and the regulator clip that needs to be fitted to it. At the moment, the aftermarket regulator has a metal plate sitting in the track. The regulator clip can't sit on top of that as there are no fitting slots. Plus, it would then be out of line with the window.

The only thing I could think of is that the metal plate is supposed to come out of the track and the regulator clip to be fitted in it's place. If this is the case, why is the plate there to begin with and also, from what I can see, the regulator clip won't actually fit in the track. The track is too narrow compared to the original regulator.

I understand that this is a universal aftermarket part, but it does say it is supposed to fit on the Alfa Romeo 159. Unfortunately the instructions that came with the regulator don't show the regulator clip nor do they mention it anywhere.

Has anyone ever fitted one of these things before? I'd be happy to any suggestions at this point as I really can't work out how to fit this thing.

Many thanks in advance.

View image: Alfa 159 Regulator 1

View image: Alfa 159 Regulator 2

View image: Alfa 159 Regulator 3

View image: Alfa 159 Regulator 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alfa.159.Regulator.1.jpg (96.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa.159.Regulator.2.jpg (101.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa.159.Regulator.3.jpg (107.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Alfa.159.Regulator.4.jpg (108.6 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 6 Old 15-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'll take random theories at this point.
County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Hope you found a way by now...

Just had the same issue, about to order a mechanism for mine.

The metal plate with the bolt on it IS the plastic clip (or goes on it's place).
Fit the bolt on the metal plate through the hole on the glass and lock it with the black tab. The plastic clip should not be used with this.

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 07-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
Hey Dan,

Cheers for that. I managed to work it out with my dad. It finally clicked.

FYI, this 3rd party regulator is MUCH better than the original one. I can't see this one ever breaking again. I actually kinda wished I changed them all tbh.

I did notice that it's slightly slower to wind the window down now. I randomly noticed it when clicking the back 2 windows simultaneously. So I kept testing it a few times, and it's definitely (marginally) slower. Perhaps it's the extra weight from the metal part? Who knows.

BTW, what's with the email notifications being 6 days late? I literally just got an email saying someone had replied, but the stats show you replied 6 days ago. Weird...
AO Silver Member
County: St. Petersburg
Once I have replaced this stuff by myself.
It come from MagnettiMarelli and created no problem to install.
You case I see you should not use this plastic white clip since it is also guide for rail.
You should put a knob ( which is in the middle of H-shaped part ) into a window glass hole and fix glass from another side by the plastic loop. Hope you understand I mean.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 08-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
Grazie, ma l'ho riparato un paio di mesi fa.

Scusa se non sei Italiano.

Last edited by sardi; 08-09-15 at 10:17.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , aftermarket , alfa , installation , regulator , window