aero wipers not clearing screen solution? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
aero wipers not clearing screen solution?

just had my windscreen replaced - [another story of woe] and gone to replace the old flat blades with nice new ones.

Maybe the shape of the glass is slightly flatter but i find the wiper arm travel toward the screen has "bottomed" out before the middle of the blade is comfortably pressing on the screen just right in front of the driver for about 4 inches of sweep. With the curvature of the flat blades and the limit of the arm travel to the glass I find the drivers side is not clearing too well.

So to add pre-load on the blade in the centre I can think of three things [ignoring moving the glass further out from the cabin!!]:
  • cut off the arm hinge limit tabs on the joint of the arm and somehow increase the spring load in the arm
  • try to adjust the motor assembly position so the spindles are angled more to the screen
  • put a bit of a kink in the arm to bend the blade end closer to the glass
Sorry for the poor problem description, anyone had any other solutions to this problem? And I'd prefer not to source a more convex screen!

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: North Lanarkshire
Seems a bit extreme? Would suggest buying another set of blades first?.....just in never know
AO Silver Member
County: Saint Ann Parish

Member car:

SV JTS 24V V6 Q4

Try rain x rain repellent, no need for wiper after using it
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
There are a few issues with the wipers but what you are describing is most likely down to the blades themselves. I've tried a few different types and so have others. There was a thread a while back about a new set of blades that were slightly shorter than reconnected that seemed to give much better clearance than others so worth a brief search on this forum as there was a link to buy them.

In terms of fixing what you have, grab the arm and just give it a little bend where it bends already to increase the pressure on the window. It doesn't need much, maybe 1-2mm of actual arm movement and that will give you the extra pressure on the screen. I have had to do this to mine, post windscreen replacement, so there could be something in the curvature of the screen being slightly shallower than stock.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______
Project Halo Wiki____
Project Halo Page____
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 05-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
thanks for all the suggestions : bending arme first; straightening the blades a bit after if possible [thin spring steel], rainex third. Nice job for a Bank Hol Monday!!
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 ti 2.0JTDm

Hello alfacapone - Are the rubber bushes at the three mounting points of the motor/linkage assembly ok? It seems they tend to distort so that the linkage assembly tilts away from the screen. I suggest to take a look at this thread if you have not seen it already...

Fitting a large washer on top of the rubber bushes worked perfectly for my 159.

AO Silver Member
Before you start bodging try lubricating the arm pivots.
AO Member
County: Lancashire
If you are looking at new blades, I recommend (of all places) Halfords for new wiper blades. Go an inch bigger on the passenger and suggested on the driver, they work a treat, and the the wet North Western weather we have had this Winter\Spring has put them through their paces.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

aero , clearing , screen , solution , wipers