Brakes on the 2.2 Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Brakes on the 2.2 Spider

What are everyone's opinions on the Spider braking system ?
Who is running around with the factory brakes and are you happy on them ?
Who has upgraded

Normal driving mine seem as good as I have had on other cars but I have had a few occasions where I have hit the brakes hard expecting it to slam the nose down and I have been left wanting to say the least, a couple have been really hairy stops.

I feel that a Brembo upgrade might be the way to go, I have looked at several threads on Brembos but not found what I am looking for, I'd like to know what the options are and at what cost.

The Spider is a 2.2 LE (2008) and has 19" wheels.
I'd like to think I have a reasonable driving style, I like a bit of fun but I'm not a racer so I'm not after the best of the best just want to feel safer when I need to stop.

Driving in an Alfa wonderland
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Riviera
I stuck Brembo Sport GT disks and EBC pads on the front of the 1750 159
and was very happy with them as they seemed to give more immediacy to the brakes.

Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa Brera und Alfa Spider 939 Tuning & Styling

The 2.2 Brera used to eat front disks. (2 sets in 3 years) as did the old 2.0 147.
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
Do you have brembo calipers or the single piston front brakes, if you have the single piston fronts then you can change to the 330mm brakes but you would also need to change the hubs and also possibly the upper wishbones which works out expensive.
Or you can fit Alfa 166 brembos which will fit straight onto your hubs and use your discs, I have done this to my 159 and am very happy with it.
Cost was Calipers 100, seal kit 40, Paint and decals 15, Pads, standard ebc 18 and new braided flexi brake pipes x4, you need the fronts 60mm longer so cant use the originals 50.

Last edited by JON156VELOCE; 26-03-15 at 17:48.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
This is what I did on my 2.2 LE:
Quite a cheap job, but a huge improvement on what was on the car before, so I guess my previous discs & pads weren't in the best of nick!
And two years on they still feel as good, with thorough regular testing on the country lanes near me .

I actually have a pair of brand new Brembo discs spare - the company sent two pairs instead of one!
Anyone who wants them at a discounted price and can pick them up in Preston is welcome to PM me (posting them wouldn't be worth it due to the weight of the things).

Past: GTV T.Spark Lusso (owned 8 years) Present: 948 Spider LE (bought Nov. '10) Future: 8C (in my dreams )
Previously (selective): Porsche 944 Turbo; Porsche 944S; Jaguar XJ6; Audi Coupe; Mark 2 Golf GTI.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brakes , spider