159 2.2 JTS Oil Sensor - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 17-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Harjumaa (Tallinn)

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS Oil Sensor

I'm new to the forum and also a fresh and proud Alfa owner.

I believe the oil sensor on my 159 2.2 JTS is not working. (Original part nr. 55192304)
I've done some research and for instance the oil lamp indicator on the dashboard should light up just after ignition. For me it doesn't show up at all. Also the oil temp gauge isn't moving.

I hooked a diagnostics machine to the car and got 2 errors. B1390 oil temp sensor short to gnd and B1001 that is a general code that has different fault under it, among them oil level sensor fault.

I tried cleaning the connector that comes out of the sump and its counterpart but still nothing. The diagnostics showed that the oil level indicator and the oil temp gauge itself are working when toggling them.

My question is that is there an alternate part to the original. Since i know most of the parts are shared between several car manufacturers but i haven't found any alternate parts for the oil sensor other than the original that costs about 200. And none of the cart part lookup engines that i've found have it even listed.

It's not a big deal though since i'll check the oil level manually anyway and the oil temp usually isn't an issue for me. But still would like to change it and have the electronic indicators working. I hear it's a common issue and perhaps some of you have some knowledge of what the alternative part can be if any.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: St. Petersburg
No it is not unfortunatelly. 55192304 is only article number to replace it properly.
Normally the gauge itself is OK and the problem is created by inner socket because of floating in oil.
Here in Russia this socket is normally repaired ( soldered ) because of both article price and lead-time.
Oil pan is to be stripped for this repair.
I have posted some pictures for this here in similar threads.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

oil , sensor