Something strange with fans and water temperature - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 16-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Help Something strange with fans and water temperature

Hi all,

About 3 months ago I felt cooling fans were running more often, specially the second one (the one that seems like a plane...). Although I never felt that water temp went over 90, one day after a spirited drive, when I slowed down and halted in a traffic light, the second fan began (normal, under the circunstances...) but then the temperature gauge suddenly reached 120 and in the next second it went back to 90. All of this in sudden moves of the indicator.

I took the car to the dealer, they test drove the car and logged the temperature and they didn't find anything strange. After that the engine runned fine...

Now, I began to feel the same!
The fans (2nd one) seem to run more often than it used to, specially in city traffic, and with longer operating times. I haven't seen more than 90, though.
Today, after 2nd fan work, temperature indicator suddenly got below 80 and then went back to 90 step by step, but quickly... This happenned twice, in traffic...

I'm going to schedule another visit to the dealer because I'm afraid it could be something related to water pump, although it only has 7000 miles on it!

Another thing that I notice (although it don't know if it's related) is that when I switch off the engine, when hot, I ear some water bubbling inside. I think it's coming from the expansion tank.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Antwerpen
Hey Filomix,

Did you find your problem aleady? I got the same problem with mine. When the car has the time to do some long runs, the temperature rises to 120, then drop again to 90 or 80. I also noticed one time that dropped out some water true the expansion tank.

My ideas (for my car) are 3 options

1) Waterpump is faulty (If i make enough revs (3000 rpm) the temp stays ok, if i run 2000 rpm it rises) Was changed 50k km's ago by the previous owner.
2) Thermostat is faulty
3) The previous owner disconnected /bridged the water supply for the EGR cooler and made an 100-120 corner to connect further into the circuit... maybe this will give an obstruction into the circuit???

Anybody else some suggestions or experience ?
AO Member
County: Dundee
Could be temperature sensor, it was faulty on my GT, sending different readings to ECU and on board gauge.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

fans , strange , temperature , water