159 Engine Temp - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 Ti

159 Engine Temp

From a cold start my 159 takes about ten minutes to reach a level 90 degrees on the temperature gauge. No problem there. On another day, again from a cold start, if I put the heater on when the gauge hits between 70-80 degrees, it then takes a lot longer to hit 90 degrees. When it does hit 90 eventually, it drops back to 80 or so degrees when it should be running at a level 90.

I am assuming there is a thermostat issue but need to know if there is anything else I should check. Today from a cold start, I let it hit 90, then put the heater on, and the temperature dipped towards 80. It took a few minutes and then it was back at 90 and remained there. The thermostat with housing is £120 and a right pain to fit. Before I contemplate this, are there any checks I can do to isolate the problem ? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire

Member car:

159 2.4 - B100

Sounds like the stat to me. You can get them on ebay much cheaper than that! I did mine and it wasn't too bad a job, just a lot of coolant on the drive
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

First - the gauge is absolutely useless - get some kind of obd interface and get data from the ECU (engine runs at anywhere between 70-100C - but gauge will sit at 90C) - and then go from there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , engine , temp