Strange fuel consumption (159 2.4 Diesel) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-15 Thread Starter
County: Nottinghamshire
Strange fuel consumption (159 2.4 Diesel)

I have owned my 159 2.4 ti for a couple of months now and have noticed some strange fuel consumption antics - just wondering if anyone knows what is happening, not a problem I am just curious.

I do a lot of motorway miles, so tend to set the cruise to 60mph (100kph) and let it do its thing.

I watch the instant fuel consumption and turbo gage, which both vary as you go up and down hill, but occasionally and only for around 5 minutes maximum, the instant fuel consumption drops from 40ish mpg down to 25ish mpg and the turbo drops to zero, unless we hit a big hill.

Does anyone know what is happening? Is it clearing out the DPF perhaps? Nothing else really varies dramatically during the 5 minutes, then all of sudden we are back to normal again.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Sounds very much like the DPF going through it's regen cycle. My 2.0 JTDM did exactly the same....until I had it removed!
AO Member
County: Essex
Yes that is a regen or regeneration full name. What's happening is the car heats up the dpf to 600c to burn off the soot inside the dpf, it does this by injecting diesel in the engine on the exhaust stroke = more fuel is used. It can last up to 10 mins. Ideally you should let it finish before stopping the car. If your dpf( diesel particulate filter ) is in good condition it should do it even 16 - 20 hours of running. Nothing to be concerned about that's how the car I'd designed. Oh one more thing no need to rev the engine just drive normal idea 2,000 rpm.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , consumption , diesel , fuel , strange