Draining Gearbox Oil - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Draining Gearbox Oil

I'm just about to change the gearbox oil on my wifes 159 170 JTDM SW replacing it with Redline MT90 in the hope that it may improve the occasional "sticky" change into 2nd gear.

The oil comes in 950ml bottles and with 3, this should be enough as the handbook quotes a capacity of 2.8 litres.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for draining the most amount of used oil from the gearbox as I'd like to keep the contamination of the new oil to a minimum. Thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Renfrewshire

Member car:

159 2.4 - B100

I did this 6 months ago. Sorry no tips on draining the oil, but make sure you can open the filling plug 1st. slightly different gearbox (the 2.4 has the f40 gearbox), but I realised that the plug was rounded an i couldn't open it to refill, instead I lifted the gear selector and filled that way.
AO Member
County: Essex
Nothing seems easy on the 159 , allow plenty of time to do it. I believe the battery and tray have to be removed to gain access to the filler plug and as previously stated UNDO THE FILLER first. As for draining get the oil as hot as possible then crack the drain plug , if you can get the bloody undertray off mine was a pig to remove. Oh and make sure you got the correct tools for drain plug .
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
On my 1.9 and I would expect the 2.0 to be the same even though it has a different box you can get to the filler plug with the battery still in place by using a 12'' extension and an allen key socket, it should be an 8mm, it will be tight so make sure the allen key plug is free from debris so the allen key goes all the way in so it doesnt round and you will need a long breaker bar.

So you get as much of the oil out as possible as with any oil change do it when the oil is still hot after a drive.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

draining , gearbox , oil