OBDII Diagnosis interface buying tips - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fanatiku

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 07-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Baden-Württemberg
OBDII Diagnosis interface buying tips

Hi guys,

I am preparing to buy a diagnosis interface for my 159, and I cannot get a good overview of my choices. I searched this forum, and I'm still not clear what should I get. Can you guys help me with this ?
My requirements are:
- Wireless connectivity if possible (Bluetooth?)
- Full functionality with MultiECUScan (probably need adapter cables)
- Capability to read all ECUs inside the car (supported by MultiECUscan)
- (Optionally) Multiplexing switch, instead of adapter cables

My problem is that I see some items on ebay where they specify "no CAN" (for Yellow adapter I think?) - but it's still the same ELM327 as others. Also, I have an old ELM327 (v1.3 I think which doesn't work with MultiECUscan). So, not all ELM327 are the same...

So bottom line, can you tell me what should I check for when looking for interfaces ? Or do you think it's worth it to go for the CANtieCAR (the special interface bundled with MultiECUscan) at 240 EUR ?

Cheers !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: -

Member car:

+1
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatiku View Post
Hi guys,

I am preparing to buy a diagnosis interface for my 159, and I cannot get a good overview of my choices. I searched this forum, and I'm still not clear what should I get. Can you guys help me with this ?
My requirements are:
- Wireless connectivity if possible (Bluetooth?)
- Full functionality with MultiECUScan (probably need adapter cables)
- Capability to read all ECUs inside the car (supported by MultiECUscan)
- (Optionally) Multiplexing switch, instead of adapter cables

My problem is that I see some items on ebay where they specify "no CAN" (for Yellow adapter I think?) - but it's still the same ELM327 as others. Also, I have an old ELM327 (v1.3 I think which doesn't work with MultiECUscan). So, not all ELM327 are the same...

So bottom line, can you tell me what should I check for when looking for interfaces ? Or do you think it's worth it to go for the CANtieCAR (the special interface bundled with MultiECUscan) at 240 EUR ?

Cheers !
So what did you eventually get, i'm looking for something similar ideally working on wifi as I'm using blue+me via bluetooth.

AO Member

County: Kyiv
Garage
Hi!
I use Blue one ELM bluetooth adapter.
It works fine with AlfaOBD and MultuEcuScan.
But it connect to Engine only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC8785.jpg (62.1 KB, 10 views)
AO Member

County: Cheshire
I have just treated myself to a Multiscan licence and bought a set of cables 40.00. I bought a "pukka" set because I have had issues in the past. I also have a Bluetooth reader that words very well. Although paying out all that dosh hurt my wallet I am very pleased, connect up and it all works, no problems.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
If you are looking for cables then PM Rarebear on this forum. He sells cables that are tested on Alfa before dispatch. Though I admit I haven't seen him post in a while.

Cheap cables from ebay are likely to give problems and the MultiECUscan web site forum has about 200 pages of QandA dedicated to which component on which lead must be removed (destroyed) to make the cable work. Thankfully for me my fix was only on about page 30.

The Q&A pages for non working cables is here:-

Multiecuscan - View topic - FAULTY ELM 327 INTERFACES DE-MYSTIFIED (READ HERE)
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandlbarrett View Post
If you are looking for cables then PM Rarebear on this forum. He sells cables that are tested on Alfa before dispatch. Though I admit I haven't seen him post in a while.

Cheap cables from ebay are likely to give problems and the MultiECUscan web site forum has about 200 pages of QandA dedicated to which component on which lead must be removed (destroyed) to make the cable work. Thankfully for me my fix was only on about page 30.

The Q&A pages for non working cables is here:-

Multiecuscan - View topic - FAULTY ELM 327 INTERFACES DE-MYSTIFIED (READ HERE)
I send Rarebear a mail asking about cables, I would rather have given him the money than somebody else but he did not reply.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 18-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Baden-Württemberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejay View Post
So what did you eventually get, i'm looking for something similar ideally working on wifi as I'm using blue+me via bluetooth.
Sorry for the delay, tejay - I ended up buying a wired interface from the recommended selection on the MultiECUScan website. It's the OBDLink SX, and I got it from the distributor in Germany, together with a MES license. The adapter cables (3 of them) I've bought on eBay, but I really don't use them at all.
The reason for going wired was purely cost. If anybody needs more info, let me know.
tejay likes this.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Garage

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 TB

Can anyone point me to the easiest otion available to just read the engine codes from a Mito 1.6 JTDM and/or Giulietta 1.4TB. I am a complete newbie to the process of plugging in a reader but am completely baffled as to how complicated it seems to be to just order something that will definitely work. Multiecuscan keeps being mentioned but that's just software - right? So I need cables and connectors too? Multiecuscan has 208 pages of demystifying faulty elm 327 interfaces!!! ELM interfaces seem to start at 4! I don't mind paying 40 to get one that just works - assuming that's what I need anyway. What I'm hoping is that I can plug *something* into the port and then read the codes onto my android phone. What do I need to buy that's almost certain to just work???

Are complete scan tools any good? e.g. OBD MATE OBDII. That's 25 on Amazon! Or this: iCarsoft i950 Multi System Diagnostic Tool - 90.

It costs the best part of 60 for my garage to plug theirs in!

Last edited by RichLidd; 23-08-16 at 16:32.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
diagnosis , elm327 , obd2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page