Alternator Removal How 2 on the V6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 23-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Saint Ann Parish

Member car:

SV JTS 24V V6 Q4

Alternator Removal How 2 on the V6

I had my car in today for a MOT Oil/filter change & clutch pully swapped over.

MOT came back with an advisory. The lower near-side-front ball joint has slight play. I changed the wishbones only 4,000 miles ago & all feels well, so i'll just leave that & see what he puts down on the MOT next year.

Oil change & filter no problems, as you would expect, but they didn't do the alternator clutch pully. The reason being that it wasn't as straight forward as you would imagine.
There dosen't seem to be enough room to remove the alternator. The PAS rack is in the way, so is the innerwing, so you can't unbolt it then pull it out that way. Nor can you pull it out from the top of the engine because of no clearance from the rear bank on the V6.

The options was, try to drop the engine mounts or subframe slighty to access enough room to remove it that way. All would have cost more in labour & some fuilds may of had to be changed because they're not sure how far the pipes stretch without looking into the job more.

It was after dinner that they started on the MOT & Oil/fliter change, so they didn't bother without asking me first, if i want them to go ahead with it.

The reason i wanted the pully changing is because i had a slight rattle from the bottom rear of the drivers side engine area, also around the alternator location. Which is wear the alternator's mounted on the v6.

I'm not 100% sure if the new oil (Vavoline Synpower) has had an effect, because i couldn't hear any rattle when i was pulling into my garage with the window down. The noise/rattle is more pronounced due to the acoustic in a tight area. Has anyone had to remove the alternator on the V6 or knows how for future reference?

I started a thread on this weeks ago now, but only bothered to get the car in the garage today. Even though i bought the clutch pully weeks ago

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

alternator , removal