A few 159 2.4 "rusty" questions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 08-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1750 TBi

Hmmm A few 159 2.4 "rusty" questions

Hey there,
I'm planning to get a 159, and so far the 2.4 diesel seems like the best compromise between power and consumption. First of all, it is very difficult to find a second hand 159 to my liking (post 2008 sedan with foldable back seats, 2.4, white/red/black) where I live in Germany, so I don't have much to choose from. I found an affordable one (~9000 Euro, 11/2008 2.4 209, 89k km, white Lusso), but it has a few issues, and I am wondering if these are serious problems (attached a couple of pics):
1. It has rust at the back wheel arches, not sure if the amount visible is serious.
2. There is some rust underneath, again no idea if the rusty components will be a problem (I am not car tech savvy, so I don't even know what is what down there).
3. Some rust around the engine, the water pump and cam belt will be changed though.
4. Chipped paint on the bonnet and the rim of the trunk.

wheel arch
engine 1
engine 2
suspension bolts
rust underneath 1
rust underneath 2
rust underneath 3

video engine

Any help, especially if you can have a look at the photos and the video with the engine running, would be greatly appreciated. If it is not this one, I would go for a 2010 2.0 Lusso (100k km, 12.5k Euro, most of the engine replaced 5k km ago) or a full-spec 2012 2.0 ti (135k km, 14.5k Euro). But in the end I wouldn't mind the more powerful engine and cheaper price... just don't want to get a "dog" that's going to cause only trouble down the road within the next 3-4 years (probably will get a new car by then).

Thanx in advance!

PS: all cars are from dealers and include 12 months of full warranty; the prices seem about average dealers' for Germany.

Last edited by DrMiro; 08-02-15 at 22:46.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Norrbotten
Because the amount of salt on road, it will rust quicker.

However, the bolts isn't a issue. Things I would worry more about is the battery (Looks terrible), exhaust system and the support frame. That some components under the hood rust is complete normal since some parts is made of cast iron, it will rust quickly but that doesn't mean its something wrong with it.
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 TBi Ti

Buying any car based on photos is difficult. Tbh, those are all usual 'rust' suspects; bolts, exhaust, suspension arms etc all common for surface rust and shouldn't effect the car, and are fairly easy to replace if they cause issues further down the line. The only one that might need further investigation would be the chassis rust but again, just looks like surface rust, nothing to particularly worry about, yet anyway! (Not sure what the German MOT equivalent is (im in the UK) but im sure it would fail if it was dangerous) or for piece of mind, have it checked by a an independent professional before you buy. I've never owned the 2.4 jtd but from the video it does sound normal for the 2.4.

IMO, Its perhaps more about how the car drives and feels, for example weird noises that shouldn't be there, knocking through the steering wheel at certain points etc. I've had cars that look perfect but just don't 'feel' right compared with cars that look terrible but 'feel' great!

The best thing to do is to test drive a few and although they will perhaps be different engines, weights, power etc, they should all 'feel' the same i.e. feel like a 159 if that makes sense, if you can get your hands on newer cars with less miles, it works better and obviously the same car i.e. another 2.4 lusso. Then when you test drive this again, you'll know if it 'feels' right.

Its hard to put into words, others on here might be able to offer other suggestions or more advice.

Either way, hope you get the car you want and its a solid one

Last edited by TurboPeen; 09-02-15 at 15:19.
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
The rust around the wheelarch is a shame and the worse ive ever seen..hard to tell from the pics but does it extend around the body work to lower sill aswel? The rear wheel arch lining should overlap the bottom bit, the clip looks to be missing.

Surface rust on engine bay components, and suspension bolts is nothing to worry about and can probably be brushed off.
The top of the front slam panel sometimes gets surface rust, it would not be hard to protect that.
The rust on the underneath is mostly on the front subframe, it doesnt look too far gone, but as a minimum paint some kind of waxoil product on it to protect it, do the brakets around it too that hold the washer bottle and airbox in place.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Most of it is just normal surface marking but I'd look more carefully at wheel arches to see if this is the result of poor accident repairs. It's quite common for cheap repairs to exclude proper preparation of the bare steel panels and then you get rapid corrosion.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 09-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 1750 TBi

Thanx a lot for the replies!
Actually, I unintentionally surprised the dealer and went to see the car before they managed to clean and service it. It was basically as the seller gave it to them, with dust, rust and all. I was assured it would be fully serviced, rust and paint treated as good as possible. The German MOT (Tüv) is pretty strict and it would go through it before it is sold, so this is assuring. I will have another look next week when it is ready. I think the wheel arch rust was around the edge only, will look again at what they repaired. In any case, I wouldn't mind investing ~2000 euro more to put it in shape, as long as these things are repairable (does that sound right and sane?).
I drove five 159s last week, two of them with the 2.4 engine. They all sounded and felt alright. But again, I've driven many different cars short-term over the years but never owned one so I'm not sure I will necessary notice if something more subtle is wrong. What I definitely noticed is the smile they put on my face
I'll drive two newer 2.0 before I go back to see the 2.4 so I will have even more grounds for comparison.
Thanx again!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , rust