Some serious winter driving in 159 SW TI - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 01-02-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Some serious winter driving in 159 SW TI

I've been a happy owner of 159 SW TI (TBI) for 10 months now. When buying it, some of my concerns were related to how an Italian would manage in a full-on Nordic winter (like -20 Celsius and/or 50 cm snow cover as it may happen here in Estonia). This winter has been very mild, only few days around -10, very modest snow so far. Nothing that would put Alfa on test, really. But today I was 200 km behind the wheel in weather conditions that can be really nasty with you. This is when temperature shifts around 0 and there is rain and snow and rain and snow falling. The roads get snowy, icy - really slippery. And my car has still no "proper" winter tyres (studded, typically from Nokian or Continental) instead I am using up those extra non studded tyres I got with the car from Germany. Now the driving impressions from highway - ploughed but still with plenty of snow and some ice here and there. The car behaved really stable in speeds of 70-90 km/h, it signalled me clearly about the road conditions. In some curves (well, much slower than 70 or 90) there were some well controlled sideways movements from the back which the stability electronics nicely catched. So in general I felt as confident in Alfa as I had in my previous family transporter (Passat) even if the Central European tyres really aren't up to this kind of conditions, some extra care has to be applied.

There is just one thing (and I knew it from the moment I decided for a TI car). It does not take much of snow on the road when you start doing some ploughing work yourself with the plastic cover sitting underneath the engine. The most annoying are those larger, icier chunks that may hit the plastic quite heavily. I will inspect the cover in spring to see how much damage the winter has caused it. There is still some 1,5 months of potential snow ploughing to be expected...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , driving , serious , winter