Join Date: Feb 2014
County: Region Metropolitana
Alfa 159 JTS 3.2 V6 Q4 fatal fail - front differential
Hi, I am writing from Chile, please excuse my English.
I am a proud owner of an Alfa 159 2007 with only 68,000 kilometers, I have bought it a year ago to a friend when the car had 60,000 km and with the 60,000 km maintenance made by the representative of the brand.
Well, I was a proud owner, four weeks ago began a sound like whining with the following characteristics:
• Sounds like whine or siren
• The sound is louder when the engine is cold
• The whining is present in any shift, the tone depends on the speed
• When I drive without any shift engaged, the sound is not present.
• The sound starts at about 20 kmh with a low tone whimper, at 60 khm is very loud and the tone is like a siren, when the car reaches 80 kmh and above that speed the tone is becoming sharper.
• When I accelerate and when the car is climb by a slope the sound is less noticeable.
The car has never run in races and generally used on journeys home office within the city.
Because of this strange behavior I took the car to the official brand shop three weeks ago, where I was told that apparently it was a transmission problem and I had to take it to service to let them perform a methodical diagnosis.
I did it, and the car is now two weeks in the Alfa Romeo Brand Representative Workshop, yesterday they informed me that after a series of tests they had was concluded that the noise is coming from the front differential.
Before I start spending money without knowing where I will end, I would ask for your support please let me know if anyone has had this type of fatal failure, which is not logical for a car in this class and world class and with only 68,000 km.
Currently the brand workshop is requesting me to pay 650 USD, just for diagnosis.
Thanks for your support