Installing original Navteq into Brera - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By notapkram

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 24-01-15 Thread Starter

County: Banja Luka

Member car:

147 1.6 120BHP

Installing original Navteq into Brera

Hi, I have original standard radio in my Brera and I want to install original navigation from Alfa 159 but I don't have white connector jack that come in car who have built in original navigation. Is it possible to transfer in from 159 in what navigation was original, does anyone know where the other end of that cable goes? Tnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Berlin
why on Earth would you like to install the original Magnetti Mareli unit? it is so old fashioned (just one example, you need to push and rotate button to input each letter in navigation)

go better to some double DIN large touch screen model
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

I've tried a touchscreen radio - and i've hated it - for me a good radio is one that you can operate without having to look at it.

AO Member

County: Berlin
you just need proper adapter that can use the buttons on steering wheel

than you do not need to watch the device during the drive any more

believe me, I had the original and hated it a lot
AO Member

County: Greater London
I've recently retrofiitted the OEM RadioNav/Instant Nav (which replaced the ConnectNav, I think in September 2009 on 159s) to my 57 plate 159 after my Pioneer AVIC F900BT unit gave up on me. It was a great unit whilst it worked, but always looked a little aftermarket. I also wanted the full B&M and steering wheel control functionality, as well as for the car to look factory original. Someone from 159ownersclub.it who's been in touch with me is fitting the unit to their Brera.

I appreciate many on here may feel there are better satnav units out there to spend your hard-earned money on. It may well be one of the first things some might want to upgrade if their car came with one. And yes, the RadioNav is a little clunky. But Iíve found that itís not a bad unit after getting used to it. And aesthetically the cabin looks as it should be.

Not sure about the Brera date, but if your 159 was built pre-September 2009 you'll need more than just a wiring adapter. Hardware wise, you'll need to upgrade the B&M unit and speedo head unit. You'll also need to fit a new centre console with the larger opening for the bigger RadioNav unit and a GPS antenna. And you'll need to invest in Multiecuscan 2.1 to perform a PROXI alignment and get everything working properly and stop the speedo from flashing. I also updated my car's body computer to get zero failure codes when performing the PROXI alignment, but in practice it's possible to get everything aligned without updating the body computer. The only thing I haven't been able to sort out is the car graphic on the RadioNav - it had shown a graphic of a 159 SW (my car) but defaulted to a 159 saloon after fitting the speedo head and I haven't yet been able to change it back. The 159ownersclub.it guy fitting the unit to his Brera also has the same problem (he has a 159 saloon graphic showing). But working with Multiecuscan at the moment to see if can be fixed somehow. Otherwise, everything else works.

It may sound daunting, time consuming and expensive. But I picked many of the parts up on e-bay and the real difficulty was not having a clear blueprint to work off. Although with the help of Google Translate I was able to follow a 47-page thread on 159ownersclub.it charting the ups and downs of members' attempts to retrofit the InstantNav - although a little inconclusive. And I stared this off with no experience in car audio or electrics or messing around with bits of car trim. However, it is definitely a project.

I'm in the process of putting together a bit of a guide. In the meantime, if you're interested in the wiring diagram (non-Bose system), including details of the connectors you'll need, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you as a starter for 10 - the file size is too big to post on here.
AO Member

Member car:

159sw

just buy an aftermarket chinese one. best buy
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159sw

Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosidefcp View Post
just buy an aftermarket chinese one. best buy
It certaintly is not. I also like esthetic inside/outside my Alfa and majority of aftermarket units totally ruins it. Might not be the most up-to-date unit, but original always looks best IMHO.
AO Member

...then you haven't seen the unit that the previous poster was referring to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4AlfaRomeoStereo.jpg (80.3 KB, 60 views)
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159sw

Hmm must admit this does not look too bad at all, not so sure about the sound quality of unit with 350 pricetag though..
AO Member

Have to admit the Chinese unit is a good facsimile of the RadioNav. Has anyone fitted one of these? Good experience? What maps do they take?

But in case anyone is still interested in having a go at retrofitting the OEM unit...

There's a correct speedo head unit for a RHD 2.4 (Fiat part number 156093015) on e-bay for a buy it now price of £99: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1816328179...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. I've checked with the seller, and it registers 33k miles on the clock. New list price before tax is a tad over £1k would you believe.

Fitting this same unit allowed me to configure the RadioNav to my car (mileage, trip A, trip B etc.), change settings (language, units etc.) and get access to the full functionality of the unit (although you still need to have the updated B&M unit - Fiat part number 50518240 or its replacement 51943247).

The speedo unit will also display the digital direction arrows and navigation information in the LCD screen between the rev counter and speedo dials, which is a nice touch.

Providing your mileage is greater than the 33k of the above unit, you can use Multiecuscan to adjust the mileage to your car (only upwards NOT (understandably) downwards).
trcXL likes this.

County: Slovakia
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapkram View Post
I've recently retrofiitted the OEM RadioNav/Instant Nav (which replaced the ConnectNav, I think in September 2009 on 159s) to my 57 plate 159 after my Pioneer AVIC F900BT unit gave up on me. It was a great unit whilst it worked, but always looked a little aftermarket. I also wanted the full B&M and steering wheel control functionality, as well as for the car to look factory original. Someone from 159ownersclub.it who's been in touch with me is fitting the unit to their Brera.

I appreciate many on here may feel there are better satnav units out there to spend your hard-earned money on. It may well be one of the first things some might want to upgrade if their car came with one. And yes, the RadioNav is a little clunky. But Iíve found that itís not a bad unit after getting used to it. And aesthetically the cabin looks as it should be.

Not sure about the Brera date, but if your 159 was built pre-September 2009 you'll need more than just a wiring adapter. Hardware wise, you'll need to upgrade the B&M unit and speedo head unit. You'll also need to fit a new centre console with the larger opening for the bigger RadioNav unit and a GPS antenna. And you'll need to invest in Multiecuscan 2.1 to perform a PROXI alignment and get everything working properly and stop the speedo from flashing. I also updated my car's body computer to get zero failure codes when performing the PROXI alignment, but in practice it's possible to get everything aligned without updating the body computer. The only thing I haven't been able to sort out is the car graphic on the RadioNav - it had shown a graphic of a 159 SW (my car) but defaulted to a 159 saloon after fitting the speedo head and I haven't yet been able to change it back. The 159ownersclub.it guy fitting the unit to his Brera also has the same problem (he has a 159 saloon graphic showing). But working with Multiecuscan at the moment to see if can be fixed somehow. Otherwise, everything else works.

It may sound daunting, time consuming and expensive. But I picked many of the parts up on e-bay and the real difficulty was not having a clear blueprint to work off. Although with the help of Google Translate I was able to follow a 47-page thread on 159ownersclub.it charting the ups and downs of members' attempts to retrofit the InstantNav - although a little inconclusive. And I stared this off with no experience in car audio or electrics or messing around with bits of car trim. However, it is definitely a project.

I'm in the process of putting together a bit of a guide. In the meantime, if you're interested in the wiring diagram (non-Bose system), including details of the connectors you'll need, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you as a starter for 10 - the file size is too big to post on here.
please contact me a have same problem on this radionav, i would need help from you. thank you fchomo@gmail.com
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Kent
Garage
Can anyone supply the part number for the RadioNav unit itself please ?

I am in the process of securing a 08 Brera and wish to start the hunt for the parts early
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redders03 View Post
Can anyone supply the part number for the RadioNav unit itself please ?

I am in the process of securing a 08 Brera and wish to start the hunt for the parts early
Fiat Group part number 156091801. I've got one on sale on eBay.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Kent
Garage
Thanks notapkram for your help.

I will keep an eye on the item on eBay also.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , installing , navteq , original

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page