I asked the question 3.2 or 2.2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Suffolk
I asked the question 3.2 or 2.2

Many thanks for all the replys to my thread as mentioed i had already test driven both the Brera 2.2 and V6 and although i liked the 2.2 i decided that the 3.2 fitted much better with what i thought the car was a GT rather than sports car. However i did enjoy the 2.2 and whereas the 3.2 felt front heavy , compared to the 2.2 with its lighter front end and i felt better handling! the Q4 just hung on for dear life . Anyway a very nice 3.2 Q4 appeared but i missed it .....
Anyway being a lover of convetables and having owned TVRs , Saabs and lotus all convertible i decided i may as well try out both the 2.2 and V6 Q4 ... first thing is the Spider is absolutly stunning to look at and the 2.2 was in 8C red even better . So i took her for a long test drive and as before the lighter weight over the front wheels made the car feel far more nimble and more sporty than the V6 also ,that 2.2 really worked well reving it hard between 5000 and 7000 made for fairly quick progress , and more importantly the gear ratios work well allowing you to really ring the neck of the car for an entertaining drive !
Next up was the 3.2 sounded great of course but wheres it suited the style of the Brera it just made the spider feel to heavy and stogy ,also and this is my big problem with combination of spider and V6 that bloody gearing it is just far too long to feel sporting and whereas you can ring the neck of the 2.2 you simple cant in the V6 with 2nd making over 75 if the V6 had shorter gearing then i would have gone for it but with that long gearing on our over policed restricted roads it takes all the fun away ..
So basicaly i think 3.2 Q4 for the Brera ...
But 2.2 for the Spider .....
So i purchansed ... The 2.2 spider simple put with that engine and gear ratios more fun and the spider should be fun it would be lovely if there was just another 40 horses to bring it up to 220 at the fly wheel but it is still a lovely car fantastic to look at and that beautiful red to die for especially since it has the black alloys ... anyway i have decided not to bohter with a remap but i am going to fit a pro drive exhaust simple because from what i have read on here it helps lesson the dreaded hesitation and also it just adds a touch more aural delight , the only other mod will be changing the air filter not sure which one but hopefully i can get some advice as to the best setup? ...
Anyway thats just my opinion ! Would be interaseted if anyone else has tested all 4 cars and has a different opinion >
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Glad you got the one you want.
Sounds like you love to get the very most out of an engine
Makes a change to hear someone standing up for the 2.2
AO Member
County: Selangor

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.2 JTS

Mine is Alfa 159 2.2 JTS. To be honest with you...this model for me is perfect among other 159 with the horsepower,handling and strong lasting engine.

BUT, a bit high on petrol consumption rather than other 2.2 engine series. Normal the wear and tear to be change especially squeaky bushing sound.

Overall... I love this Alfa 159 2.2 jts model

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

asked , question