Just to put the proverbial tin lid on it, I was on the verge of selling her yesterday to a local used car trader who makes a big thing of offering to pay at least 10% more than the WeBuyAnyCars and their like, depending on his appraisal of the car of course.
He loved how she looked and how she drove, but then he got it into his workshop. He came back a few minutes later with a worried expression and my heart sank. But no it wasn't a smell of petrol from the oil that his mechanic had spotted, oh no, but a fairly substantial oil leak from somewhere around the top of the engine. There was so much oil covering everything under the plastic cover, it was difficult to see where it was originating from,
Some of you may recall that I've been complaining about a persistent leak ever since the first turbo was replaced 2 years ago but the dealer was never able (or willing?) to fix it until this last episode when I was assured that it had been identified and dealt with. So much for the longevity of that repair then,
I know I should really have taken the car straight over to Western and dumped it but I wasn't sure that I could keep my emotions in check sufficiently to avoid spending some time in one of Her Majesty's hotels. Instead, I've taken it to my trusted indie, McLennans, to let them have a look first. I'll have to pay for that of course, but at least I can be confident that if they say it's fixed then it is fixed.
The trader, to be fare, has agreed to offer me the same price post-repair that he was going to offer before the leak was spotted. It just means that it's going to be another delay before I can finally put all this behind me and get the deal finalised on the Lotus.