difficult starting "white smoke" wrong/missmatched glowplugs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 25-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire
difficult starting "white smoke" wrong/missmatched glowplugs

Hi all alfa lovers,
Its been a while since I wrote about the longer Beru glowplugs fitted to my 210bhp 159 sportwagon, I get genuine replacements from Sparkplugs U.K. on the net, much cheaper than alfa "no surprise hey", however new plugs made starting better, this was not the solution to my probs, after 9 months use, my dash lit up like a christmas tree, the temp guage "endstopped" I pulled over, opened bonnet, nothing a miss, so carried on it went into limp mode, I got to destination a few miles further, checked again, all the water had gone in expansion tank. I had a 25 mile journey home, I let everything cool down, filled back up to brim with water including spare water cans, it had come out off limp mode after cooling down I managed return journey home, but on pulling onto drive the steam was coming out, after cooling I observed all the water in the sump, after a lot off phone calls to vendors & the alfa dealers concerned & due to the prices they were quoting, just to look at it including the logistics off getting it to them, I decided to attempt the job myself, I had to buy a punto as a means of transport other than a bike, I was using to get to work at the time, inspection/dismantling revealed excessive skimming, resulting in several cracks between the valves, this skimming work was done in the workshops of Platts at Longton Stoke. they offered at my expense a 72 inspection fee, + getting it to them, disappointed with Platts response, so initially I bought a replacement cylinder head, was about to use this as a fix when a complete engine became available, I have fitted this myself, having also learnt how to replace a DMF/new clutch + cambelt & water pump in process, concentric slave as well, after a complete service, I now have a very nice alfa, with a much lower mileage engine, this replacement engine had the shorter bosch glow plugs off which I had a spare set new they were duly fitted, I run this car everyday absolutely love it to bits, a bit of help financially from Platts was not forthcoming, but as the previous owners sold at auction, then I bought of buyers from auction, Platts had no obligation to do anything, hence they did nothing, but I can say I have had help from them by obtaining service history + torque settings from a mechanic, the moral of this story is check history before u buy, do not leave any stone unturned as it will kick u up arse, if a car is cheap its cheap fo a bloody reason, do your homework it will pay off, I've found 2 shots of glowplug light, in other words put the ignition key in twice does the job for me on the cold starting. if its a high mileage turbo u will allways get a little wisp of oil smoke that's all as on any diesel, very negligible on mine now so am very happy, fingers crossed/ touching wood.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

difficult , glowplugs , starting , white smoke , wrong or missmatched