Moving to the 159? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-11-14 Thread Starter
County: -
Moving to the 159?

Hi everyone...

Sadly, I had to say g'bye to my beloved '99 156 2.5 V6 after he ate his cambelt this week.

I've been looking around at alternatives, and think I'm going to go for the 159. Ideally I'd like to go for the 3.2 V6, but running costs are too much (500 for tax! ) so that's out of the question.

I'm toying with either the 2.4 diesel or 2.2 petrol, but would like to know if anyone has any opinions on which would be better, in terms of acceleration, running costs & reliability.

Does anyone think that either of these models (say, with 50k on the clock) would match or exceed the nippiness of my old 2.5 V6 with 104k on the clock? A tough call to judge I guess, but opinions would be welcome.

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Similar thread already, read it through and you'll have the answers to all your questions:
AO Member
County: Norrbotten
Need sound > V6
Economical > TBI
Italian > TBI or JTD
Power > TBI or V6

AO Member
County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

I had a 156 v6 and now have a 159 2.4. (After a 6 year gap) I didn't get the 3.2 for the increased fuel and tax, and find the 2.4 a great combination of character and performance. I couldn't stretch to a TBi which probably would have been the perfect car. But with 250 bhp 450ft/ib and up to 48 mpg on a run I'm quite happy. With a couple of mods on the induction and exhaust sounds quite good for a tractor.
AO Member
County: Hampshire
I had an 08 159 Ti 2.2 JTS (red), it was a very nice looking car, I'm thinking I should have kept it really, only 30K on the clock. There was always hesitation in low revs but got going after the initial lack. The 1.75TBi I now have is so much better on all round performance and MPG.

Maybe try for a late 159 TBi ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , moving