What will happen if I blank my EGR? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 16-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

What will happen if I blank my EGR?

I have a blanking plate and want to see if it has any beneficial effect on starting and the poor throttle response I am getting at low revs (2.4 brera).

If I fit it without a remap or a dongle I know it will bring up a fault but will it put the car in limp mode? Can I just keep deleting the fault using my phone app whilst I am testing it?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Durham
It puts a warning on the dash but carries on working without going into limp mode. I ran my car like this for several months.
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDM

I do a lot of short journeys now so sooting up of the EGR is a regular feature. I have one of the restrictor plates with a 10 mil hole - which supposedly slows down the clogging but it certainly doesn't stop it. The plate doesn't cause a check light and I have been cleaning the valve every few months before the computer picks up a problem.

I had been using the carb cleaner and tooth brush method and could get it fairly clear but not perfect. So last time I tried something more drastic. Oven cleaner.

Now I know oven cleaner will eat through alloy, etc, etc and people will say don't try it. But the fact is that the stuff I used - Xanto Power Activ - dissolves the carbon in seconds and can be hosed out long before it starts to work on the metal. The result is amazing. The valve looks almost new with minimal effort. And since I used this method, the car - with 106,000 miles on the clock - drives better than ever. No lumpiness at low revs and really smooth acceleration. Also much improved mpg.

I reckon I used about 20p worth of the cleaner and because it works so quickly, it was a genuine half hour job, allowing for a minute or two with a heat gun to dry it out before refitting. I did squirt a bit of carb cleaner onto the diaphragm and wiped round with the spring depressed to make sure the mating surfaces were clean. (Not a good idea to poke your fingers in there with the oven cleaner...)

Obviously, you try this at your own risk but I was surprised how quickly and effectively it worked. Provided you slosh plenty of water in there as soon as the carbon comes out, no harm seems likely to the metal or engine. Well mine has not suffered in the slightest. Gloves are recommended to avoid burning skin.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
The improvement in performance you get with the restrictorplate, you get the same again with it fully blanked! Still a lot of gunk going into your manifold you can reach with oven cleaner! Take your map sensor off and give it a clean, you'll see what the rest of the manifold looks like!

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member
County: Devon
Just for info I have the official gasket with 4 holes in that connects to the inlet manifold for over a year and recently added a single 10mm hole gasket onto the pipe that feeds the exhaust gas in. To begin with I had a warning light up but I cleared that 3 weeks ago and none has returned. No idea why though.
AO Member
County: Auckland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

I also put a 10mm hole restrictor plate in the exhaust feed pipe to the EGR valve, and I have not had any warning light come on. Car behaves well and seems to be smooth as. I made my plate up from a piece of thin galvanised sheeting I had in my junk box.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

blank , egr , happen