Can i trust her? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 14-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
Can i trust her?

So been having some troubles with he lady.
All started 2 weeks ago with the message 'critical engine coolant temperature, stop and turn engine off' (the message that appears in most water pump failure threads), so I did and waited for the RAC.
Diagnosed as water pump failure - which was replaced under an RAC warranty I had, so I got the CAM belt done as well.
So, week later uh oh same problem, now its the head gasket.

I have a couple of questions,
1. By me running it during the week it was supposed to be fixed would I have caused any additional damage? it all ways ran at 90 when I checked the temp gauge.
2. Would the water pump and head gasket have gone at the same time? or is this just bad luck / diagnostics?
3. Can I trust the engine now that the head has been done? I've been promised a company car middle of next year, so not sure if I should sell her on or keep her?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
The damage was probably done when the wp packed up and the engine overheated. If the head was checked for warping usually skimmed and new gasket fitted / not sure if you get thicker h.g / the car should be fine now .but only time will tell, that you have not cracked head or block. Just check the coolant level every day for a couple of weeks make sure your not losing any. Check oil at same time no sign of water in oil.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider