eng temp and irratic idle problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 12-11-14 Thread Starter
County: -
Crazed eng temp and irratic idle problems

Hope some one can help I have a 159 2.4 diesel ***** the engine struggles to reach running temperatue in the winter running at about 2/3 its normal running temperature even in the summer it very rarely stays at the normal temperature dropping off when moving in traffic ,classic themostat fautl! My mechanic checked the themostat out and found no fault.

The more serious problem is that when the temperatue nears normal the car idles irratically only reverting back to normal when the temperature drops, Ive been told that the temperature sender also feeds the ECU for the fuel injection could that be the problem, if so how big a job is it and where is it fitted! Ive had a quick look but drew a blank. The car itself drives great plenty of power and performance but the poblem as been here for a while now and I am pretty sure the 2 faults are connected as the fault appears consistantly when normal running temperature is reached. hope some one out there might be able to help

Cheers Ossy Pete
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Hi, had exactly the same issue. Search my other posts. I have just swapped out my thermostat and cleaned the throttle as it was caked up with soot. As it has been running cold (and therefore rich) it will be clogged up.

Ideally you would want to clean out the inlet manifold but unless you are due a belt change its a big job.

Make sure your egr is clear too.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 12-11-14 Thread Starter
County: -
cheers for that ive been told about the throttle and manifold cloging up will first ask my mechanic if ihe cleaned them the last time he looked at it Ive already had timming belt done so i think he will have done it then I know he did the EGR valve. Its strange about the themostat it always stayed on constant normal before what else could affect it if its not a themostat fault
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
As always solve the cheap/ easy ones first

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

eng , idle , irratic , problems , temp