OK, went see the car. I have mixed feelings
didn't have the chance to actually drive it, or even start her up. Owner (I'm not sure he if is actually an owner or a dealer who imported the car from France) put the car in used car dealer's lot. He wasn't there (i called him during the inspection few times...), and the dealer didn't care about the car. They actually told me it is open, and go, take a look. I could have disassembled the whole car without anybody noticing (anybody needs parts?). Ridiculous...
Anyway, the car.
This is not a Ti... there are no brembo calipers, only 17" wheels, leather seats but no stiching. Probably no service history... owner was not sure if he has the papers... not so happy about this..
The not so worrying problems:
- it was hit on the front, bumper was replaced and doesn't line up correctly. My guess it is a simple problem I can fix that... probably, I've never seen what is under the skin. Engine bay looks ok, no visible damage or repairs, Alfa logo is faded and there is missing a foglight bracket.
- board computer and satnav speaks french. Tried to change the language to english on the satnav, it displayed a message in french and nothing changed. Whats up with that? I had many languages to choose from, is it possible it only speaks french?
- interior lights (dome) doesn't light up when the front doors are open, rears are working fine. Front left dome light can be turned on manually but it keeps turning on-off, and stays on randomly.
-missing spare tyre
I believe these are not deal breakers if I can make the price right, BUT....
These can be serious:
- power steering reservoir is covered with PS fluid. No sure if it was only spilled during refill or it was overfilled (above max) and the it tries to work out the extra. Lines are oily down the lines.
- oil everywhere.... reservoirs behind the engine are covered with oil, it seems like oil was squirting from somewhere. Owner said he had some kind of turbo line replaced, but didn't know what.
- intake pipe to the manifold is oily as well, knackered turbo?http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...psa5211b17.jpg
- the inside of the engine cover is also covered with oil. I assume there a crankease breather/ventillation system behind the engine, whcih looks oily to me, that might be the culprit... just guessing
I'm not afraid of some wrenching, I can tackle most of the jobs I can think of right now. But the oil squirting deal on the reservoirs and the inside of the engine cover are rather strange to me.
We are going to take a second look on saturday, take it for a test drive. I'm going to clean up the oily areas and check if there is any sign of newly squirted oil.
Other than these problems this is an utterly gorgeous car. So beautiful, elegant, the interior with the black leather looks awesome and sooo comfy.
One side of me says, run as fast as You can as far as You can go. The other says ***** it, lowball the guy as much as possible and save it.
What do You guys think?