159 Temp Guage Fluctuating - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 07-11-14 Thread Starter
County: Renfrewshire
Help 159 Temp Guage Fluctuating

Good Morning all. I have a 159 JTDM (11). Last night and this morning the temperature guage started going beserk, sitting at normal (90) but leaping to 130 and overheating in an instant. I noticed the heater also seemed to be inconsistent during the episodes, blowing lots of moisture onto the window, blowing cold at 23 degrees before returning to normal in a few seconds. The dealer has said "see you thursday/friday" but as my wife covers two hospitals 30 miles apart she must be able to use the car without worries of not getting there. I'm sure its not mechanical as a 70 degree swing in seconds is only possible in a microwave (and McDonalds apple pie). Can you please help?
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
Air lock?
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Don't want to scare you, but are those not classic symptoms of head gasket failure? I would get it checked ASAP.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-14 Thread Starter
Oh Boy

Thanks for the heads up. Is there any evidence I would see on the engine if the gasket has blown or will there be an unusual noise involved.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-14 Thread Starter
How do I sort an airlock? Is it like a radiator in your house
AO Member
County: Essex
Could just be a faulty coolant sensor. If your head gasket gone symptoms are oil in coolant . coolant
In oil. White smoke from exhaust. Poor running . using a lot of coolant .
Yes I suppose its a bit like a rad in your house. There is a black plastic( which might snap )small bleed tap on top of the engine front left goes into what looks like a silver flatish round alloy pipe going east west on engine.
A lot of people replace the plactic one with the stronger metal type .
County: Jihočeský

Member car:

AR159/SW 1.9JTDM

EGR heater/coller failure

Hi, I had the same issue last winter, but I am from Czech Rep, winter here are colder then in UK, so my wife pointed on very poor heating and finally temperature jumped up to 130 and error message on screen shows and car heating was totally down as well.
Important is to check coolant level in reservoir. If level is deep down under minimum, or even missing coolant in reservoir, you are facing severe leakage of coolant. I had to add more then 1,5 liter of coolant in reservoir, start a car and all was normall till next episode...
Problem was in small heater/cooler unit on pipe from turbo exhaust to EGR valve. There was micro-crack between exhaust and coolant . And thru this crack can exhaust presurize your coolant out of system. Interesting thing - there was way how to simulate episode of this failure, just from time to time I faced massive loss of coolant - 2 litres or even more, but without engine failure.
To repair this is easy - bypass this heater/cooler, for coolant. In fact this is used only for quicker engine heat-up. If this is the root cause, then repair is much, much cheaper then head gasket failure or even broken cylinder head.
AO Member
County: Østfold
Had the temp gauge issue on mine a couple of years ago, but together with the check engine light.
On mine it was the pressure sensor on the aircon system together with the differential pressure sensor for the particle filter that was broken. Got the p2452, p0697 and p0530 then.
The needle started jumping higher and higher until it knocked 130, then all hell broke lose with a lot of warning lights flashing and limp home mode.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , guage or useage , temp