159 - battery problem? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 05-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
159 - battery problem?

Good afternoon, all.
I attempted to start the car a few minutes ago, without success. It hadn't been used for two weeks and had been parked in my garage, with the key removed, the brakes off, the doors and boot closed and unlocked. When I inserted the key module, all the lights on the dashboard flashed at high frequency and I could hear the systems under the bonnet attempting to boot up. There was no response when the starter button was pressed and I removed the key module. It seemed that the interior lights were not as bright as normal and the radio would not operate. I have put the battery on charge.
On the one previous occasion of a battery problem, in 2012, all the dashboard functions were normal, but there was not enough power to turn the engine. The RAC, on call out, deemed the battery to have failed; it was replaced with an equivalent which has been totally reliable until now.
Is it simply a failure of the battery to hold the charge, or is there something else that I should investigate?
I'd welcome comments!
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Lancashire
Most likely the battery, but could be the alternator or earth strap problems if a recharge or change of battery does not cure it.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
If you are leaving the car for a while, lock it with the physical key, rather than the fob, this will lock the car, but not arm the alarm (which is a drain on the battery)
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 05-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
Good evening and thanks for your replies, the car is not locked when in the garage since the premises are secure.
I've had the battery on charge for most of the day and the voltage has finally crept up to 12.3v. Earlier checks had indicated that, once off charge, the voltage would drop by about 0.02v per minute, so it is fairly clear that the battery has failed. Surprisingly, but fortunately, there was sufficient power to start the engine. The battery has a three year unlimited warranty from Kwikfit and it will be replaced tomorrow. (The original battery failed whilst I was on holiday and Kwikfit was the only solution.)
Thanks once again for your interest, onwards and upwards!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , battery , problem