Issue when DPF Regenerating - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 04-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyrone
Issue when DPF Regenerating

Hi Guys,

I've been experiencing something strange happening with my car just prior to the dpf regenerating. It usually happens after I've been cruising along the dual carriageway at around 70mph on my return journey from work.

Whilst driving along the dual carriageway the car seems perfectly normal. I then have to pull off at a junction. Up to this point I don't know any difference but when I go to pull out of the junction onto a standard single carriageway there is a huge power loss, the turbo only boosts to 0.4 bar and when I release the throttle it will settle to 0 bar but not drop immediately like it does when regenerating. The engine won't rev past 3k rpm and feels just like a blocked exhaust. I can slowly accelerate to 60mph or above and after about 2-3 miles the car will kick into regen mode, at which point the power is returned to normal. Also if I pull over, turn the car off and on again everything is back to normal. There are no fault lights on the dash. I check my engine oil level regularly but the car is not and has never used a drop of oil.

This issue is obviously nothing to do with the road but rather due to my driving routine and time it takes for the car to warm up, it means this issue only ever raises its head at that particular point in time at that junction.

As you can imagine this has been a scary experience the first couple of times it happened as it caught me off guard with oncoming traffic having to slow down to let me accelerate. Now I know this is a re-occuring issue I can accommodate for it.

Oh and one other thing I don't think is related is that I had my swirl flaps removed in the summer. This issue had occurred just once prior to me de-swirling, it was actually one of the reasons I had the flaps removed thinking it was somehow a symptom of a blocked and leaky inlet manifold. Since deflapping it occurs much more frequently. Probably once in every two regenerations.

Any ideas and opinions would be great as I really want to get to the bottom of this issue. I'm leaning towards a dpf removal and remap as the car has done nearly 80k miles and could have dpf issues although it does regenerate fully every 450-500 miles or so.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
start here:

Could well be the EGR, it is supposed to shut during a regen,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

dpf , issue , regenerating