Alfa 159 Q4 Tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-04-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

159 Q4

Help Alfa 159 Q4 Tyres

We have burned through the first set of 159 tyres (22,000kms) - the 235/45/18 Bridgestones. After now going through the lack of Alfa New Zealand customer service, during which we were told there are no tyres in the country for another six weeks, we were advised these tyres are rare and effectively made for the car. We asked can we go to a 245/45/18 as they are easier to get and cheaper. We were told "no, it will upset the traction control". Does anyone else know if this is true? Surely in years to come someone is going to put bigger tyres on board. Also has anyone else had issues with Alfa in NZ or Australia.

p.s. After numerous phonecalls Alfa NZ have now kindly put two tyres off a show car in the post - we wait to see if they turn up.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Re: Alfa 159 Q4 Tyres

I really doubt it can mess with the asr or the vdc. Lowering too much can, in another Alfas, mess a bit with the vdc and not with the asr. But that's not the case, only tires.
I bet you'll be safe.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

Re: Alfa 159 Q4 Tyres

I would have thought wider tyres would provide more grip, thus traction control is less likely to kick in when you're in a bit more trouble in a situation than if you had 235 width tyres, but I doubt 10mm would hake that much of a difference? Depends on the situation you're car is in at the time.

Mind you, I know people who go for both lower profile and wider tyres all the time on cars. So overall, unless Alfa know something we don't, I say it has negelible effect.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , alfa , tyres