2.0 170 or 2.4 jtd - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Western Isles

Member car:

Alfa Red GT Q2

2.0 170 or 2.4 jtd

The recent issues with our 156 sportwagon has got me thinking about a replacement sooner that intended. Obviously it will be a 159 sportwagon, but do I go for a 2.4 or a 2.0?

I loved my 5-pot 156 sportwagon but it was very heavy at the front end (even with Koni sport springs and shockers). I have driven a 159 with the 1.9 16v engine as per my current 'wagon and was disappointed with the lack of oomph (obviously there is a fair bit of extra weight compared to the 156) but pleased with the improved suspension.

I suspect that the 159 2.4 will be much more enjoyable to drive but does the 2.0 4-pot run it close?

"When you sit in a Focus RS or a Golf R32 itís like sitting in a commercial for Lynx aftershave. When you sit in an 147 GTA itís like sitting in a Venetianís hand-made suitcase." J.Clarkson 2003.

Current fleet: 156 Sportwagon jtd 16V (facelift) 2.4 Spider, Leon Cupra SC
Projects: Spider S4, Matra Murena 2.2
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
I'd tend to go for the 2.4 just because it's 5pot and cheaper to buy. Get the 210 version if you though, it has a better turbo with quicker spool up.

The 2.0 is a newer engine, so will reflect that in price, but I think it's a more refined engine and much quieter, better on fuel and cheaper to run in the whole.

Out of my 2.4, I'm averaging 37mpg and on a good run I'm getting 51mpg. I couldn't say what the 2.0 is getting on similar runs but I would assume better.

Best advice, test drive both and see which you prefer...

Alfas don't break down..... They stop to be admired

Alfas don't leak oil.... They are marking their territory
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
I've only had my 2.4 SW about 10 months, so not as much experience as a lot on here, but there's no doubt it's a front heavy thing. It's a bit of a handful at low speeds driving around town, things such as 50m run, junction, 30m run, junction etc. A remap helped with a few less gear changes, but it's still not great. However, the trade off is when you get it up to some decent speed, it feels beautiful then, really surefooted. I always find it's nicer with a fullish tank of fuel in the back, it doesn't really make the car feel heavier because there's so much power. Some say the Powerflex stuff helps out, but it didn't work out for me.

I think if you found your 156 front heavy then a 2.4 159 would probably be worse, my 1.8 156 was great around town,(barring suspension), it was also great at 90mph, it was really the lack of power and the want for a 159 that made me change. I think a lot of people would be happier with a 156, it's just it's an older car.

One thing that gets me is how the 159 gets a slating for it's weight when the current crop of 3 series,C-class, A4 etc are all way heavier. The thing I absolutely love about the heaviness of the 159 is that when I get in the GT V6, it feels like a Go Kart, the steering is so light! But you know the steering on a 3.2 isn't actually light at all, so it shows how heavy the 159 2.4 is at the front.

AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Go for a2.0 and get it mapped, should bring it to a similar level to a stock 2.4 with better weight distribution and fewer issues

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

170 , jtd