159 2.4 new head gasket, running hot - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
159 2.4 new head gasket, running hot

Hi everyone, hoping for some more expert advice. First of all a big thanks to Ed for his advice on my cylinder head. I took it to Thurstons Engineering in Ongar and they did a great job, couldn't fault the service.

So the problem, I purchased my 159 2.4Ti a few months back, it had overheated and needed a new head gasket. Head gasket fitted, head skimmed, valve clearance adjusted to match, new water pump, belts and thermostat, oil change etc. Sounds awesome, purrs nicely. Only having taken it on a few test runs and cleared out any air pockets in the cooling system I noticed it is definitely still running hot. It gets to 90 very quickly, it doesn't go over 90 but it doesn't drop from it either regardless of how its driven, I could imagine it going over if I really pushed it but I'm not willing to try. I've had a 1.9 16v GT and an 8v jtd 147 and both ran at around 80, sometimes less but rarely above unless driven hard or in congestion. So I'm assuming its running a bit hot.

Having bought it with the head gasket blown I don't know what the original cause for overheating was, was it the gasket that leaked boost into the coolant first causing it to overheat or did it overheat causing the head to warp and then leak compression? I don't know. But its definitely not leaking compression any more since being put back together, the thermostat and water pump have been replaced and the cooling system has pressure in it with no leaks. So what else could it be?

When I took the bumper off I noticed this damage, I'm not sure what this is, I think its the air conditioning condenser, either way it looks hammered! Loads of damage, could this affect the running temperature? Maybe the radiator behind it is the same, I should imagine it must of been taken out by someone at some point for it to get this damaged, is there any way of testing the rad without removing it? I have already run coolant from top to bottom and it got through no problem. I have attached some pics, any advice would be much appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG6255.jpg (72.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG6256.jpg (140.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG6257.jpg (127.1 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park
90 is exactly where the temperature should be, if going by the dash gauge.

the 147/156/GT dash gauges where very temperamental, no good for determining the running temperature but good for seeing when something was out of the ordinary.

If you want to know the real engine temperature you either need a scantool or true diagnostics software though.

old and blocked AC condensors or other stuff in front of the radiator could easily cause overheating, but from what you told me, I don't thinkthe car is overheating now.
Global Mod Team
County: Lancashire
Thats the correct operation so don't worry, the damage as you state is just due to the age of the rads so if you want you have them replaced you could.
AO Member
My older 2.4 runs at mid point 90 all the time that's what its suppose to do. Like previous post says the guauge is only a guide. You need multiscan or fiatecuscan to read the temp more accuarely from your odb2 port on the car to your laptop.
I,be got it on mine if you wanna pop down. In in Essex . p.m me
But. It all sou D's fine. If your rads not 100% your notice it CLimb up when u drive the car hard, and putting the internal heater on full blast will bring it down.
AO Member
I can,t really see the outter rad too well. Is it full off dirt which is stopping the air getting to the main rad. If so try gently cleaning out all the muck with a hose. Obviously if no air is getting to the main rad it can,t cool efficient ly and the car will over heat. Maybe that, s what caused the issue in the first place.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , gasket , head , hot , running