Metallic clanking sound in 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Metallic clanking sound in 159

Does anyone have ideas of what might be causing this metallic clanking sound? I’ve have been wondering it for a few weeks now. It appears on rapid movements backward and forward, when on stationary.

In this video I’m pressing brake and gas and switch to reverse and drive by turns. In this other video I don’t press brake, but actually move

Earlier I had problems with left upper wishbone. I ordered this Vema manufactured wishbone, which was causing this awful squeaking sound. Poor quality bushing. So I got Lemförder manufactured wishbone changed about a month ago and the squeaking stopped. I have noticed that fellow Alfistis have had such problems with also TRW wishbones. So I wouldn’t rule out again the faulty upper wishbone. Though, the Lemförder is considered better quality manufacturer and at least it sounds like the sound is coming lower than from upper wishbone.

Front left wheel bearing was changed about 6 months ago and lower wishbone rear bushing 4 months ago. I didn’t change the whole lower wishbone.

This metallic clanking sound only appears on rapid changes on direction of movement. Braking and bumps doesn’t cause this sound. Immediately after you have braked and switch quickly to reverse, this clank sound appears. It clanks only once when you change the direction.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
I have this on mine due to the Performance Friction Pads being ever so slightly too small for the Brembo calliper. It happens only once the first time the brakes are applied in a given direction as the pad moves slightly and clangs into position.
AO Silver Member
County: Saint Ann Parish

Member car:

SV JTS 24V V6 Q4

What iv'e found is when you change the upper arms the whole camber adjustment goes out of place & it seems like more stress is put on the actual aluminum wishbone as opposed to the bush's themselves.

At the factory everything was slotted into place in one assembled piece all built upon the subframe, suspension, engine, ect.
After six months i was getting the same clunk after changing both upper arms on my brera. Powerflex bush's & camber bolts seemed to resolve my issue.
But Jayuk is spot on, his clunk is his pads which my mechanic thought that was the issue with mine. So the sound you have has got to be one of the two suggestions mentioned, but it is hard to pin point where it's coming from. More annoying than anything else with me so i know how you feel about it.

Forgot to mention a give away on mine after both upper arms was change is when you looked under the wheel arch, one wishbone sat slightly lower than the other side. Even though they find thier own postion of rest height when lowered off the jacking points. So it was a dead give away that the camber was out before checking it properly on the 4 wheel alingment machine. But they are none adjustable hence why i opted for a change of upper wishbone bushes.

Last edited by IAMBRERA; 10-10-14 at 13:51.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 12-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
I don't think they sound like friction pads? In the first video I posted, brakes are pressed hard and pads probably don't move at all. Other thing is that I haven't done anything to brakes during my two year ownership. Those are already quite worn out, so brake job is waiting in the next 10000 kilometres. Though, have to check the pads too!

So IAMBRERA what you are suggesting is that the aluminum wishbone (the wishbone body) itself would make that noise? While doing the measure in first video, you could try and hold the wishbone to see if shakes. Have to try that. If no clear sound source is found, we could always try using the original changed wishbone (ball joint knackered). In that case I think this can be sorted out probably with original sparepart or those powerflex bushes. I have read that quite many have turned to use original wishbones, when spare part wishbones have squeaked and made knocking noises. It is just that since beginning of august, it is my fourth (The original one, that got broke + two times Vema + now this Lemförder) wishbone in place and touching it doesn't arouse me too much anymore
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 27-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
I already thought I had this figured out. It seemed like the brake pad’s surface had fallen of and ordered a new set of discs and pads for every corner. Well, they were quite warn out already, with 130 000 km in odometer, so this was in the ToDo –list anyway. Also tie rods (inner and outer) were changed for both sides. Pads seem to be ok after all and this clanking sound persists.

Anyone, any ideas?
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
I still think this is classic pad movement noise. There has to be some clearance between the edge of the pads and the caliper or the system would seize. As standard Alfa would have worked out the best clearance figure. After Market pads may introduce a larger clearance to be sure their pads don't jam at high temperatures.

It is unusual for drivers to hang on to the brake pedal until fully stationary (which jams the pad fully down). In these circumstances the pad will release itself suddenly when you reverse.

Incidently, this problem is much worse on rear wheel drive cars (like BMW) because they tend to put their calipers to the rear of the front wheel (see below) and therefore the pads are lifted during braking and then fall in reverse.

Note:- Rear wheel cars like BMW try to get weight onto the rear axle to improve traction. To do this they move the engine as far back as they can and the rear axle as far forward as they can (which compromises rear seat room). With the engine that far back there's little room for the steering rack so that goes to the front and acts on the front of the wheels. This means the calipers have to be on the back of the wheels. You also see the classic front axle moved forward with very little front overhang and the rear overhang enormous because the axle is moved forward. The 159 is the other way round with more front overhang than the rear.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 28-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
Well yeah, but isn’t it quite unlikely the sound to remain exactly the same before and after the brake job? 70 000 km driven pads were changed to new pads and also retaining pins and anti-rattle clips were changed – so the whole job.

Also if you check the videos I posted up there, I don’t press the brake in other video at all.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , clanking , metallic , sound