Is it possible to use Androids Spotify in Alfa Romeo 159 2008? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-14 Thread Starter
County: -
Is it possible to use Androids Spotify in Alfa Romeo 159 2008?

I recently bought an Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon, 2008 model (and I gotta say its an amazing car to drive).

All the manuals I got are written in German and I'm from Norway with close to zero german knowledge.

Is it possible to use Spotify from Android in the car, and how do I do it? The car has an USB-port and Blue&Me-system.

If it isnt possible with spotify, is the car able to get the media from the phones normal media library?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

Blue&Me does not support A2DP Bluetooth profile, so I would suggest switching to something more sophisticated - Dension Gateway Lite BT?
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
Not sure about Andriod. My car will read mp3s from a usb memory stick fine. It will read from my iTunes library on my iPhone (and charge my phone too via the usb port, but I had to buy a special adaptor. I also had to apply three separate "Blue&me" updates in order via the usb as well before it recognised the 'phone. I think if Blue&me was updated, you'd be able to plug your phone in to the USB and stream via your phone?

May be worth checking up on other forums, like the Fiat or FIAT500 forums for other other experiences with Android?
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 1.9 JTD

I don't think Spotify through an Android phone would work in the Blue and Me system...
The Blue and Me uses the dock protocol when communicating with an iOS device, which Spotify on iOS can hijack and present itself as though the iPhone was playing anything from its own library.
However an Android phone would present itself as a mass storage device (like a memory stick), which Spotify on Android has no way to communicate with so it would likely just ignore it and play through your phone speaker instead.

I can vouch for the Gateway BT Lite, have one in my 159, it hijacks the CD Changer port on the back of the head unit, allows A2DP and calls with steering wheel controls. It's a good system, the only downside is that you don't get track names, instead it displays CD05 Track 01 etc.

Edit: you could store your music as MP3 on the Android phone though and plug that into the USB port, that should work. As long as the phone isn't running a too newer version of Android where they changed the mass storage protocol too I think? (Could be wrong there though)

Hope this helps, cheers, mike.
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

I didn't go for BT version, decided to install Gateway Lite –*I connected old iPod (30GB) and use its library on daily basis. Deezer and Spotify from iPhone 5 works fine, but I had to buy converter from old plug into new system. Works great, I had more trouble with iPhone 5 in Giulietta MY2014 (while 159 waited for clutch and other stuff).
AO Member
County: South Australia
How about just playing a cd? mp3 sounds **** anyway...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , music , spotify