Heavy steering on 159 Sportwagon 1.9 JTDm 2008 model - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-10-14 Thread Starter
County: -
Heavy steering on 159 Sportwagon 1.9 JTDm 2008 model

I was at a local Alfa Romeo dealer yesterday and test drove a 159 Sportwagon 1.9 JTDm, 2008 model. I must say it is a brilliant vehicle to look and ot felt really good when i test drove it. However i noticed that the steering wheel was hard to pull from side to side, especially on low speed, though I didn't hear any weird sounds from it. I asked the salesman if it were supposed to be like that and he said it was correct. So my question is:

Is this normal in an Alfa Romeo? I'm used to Audi A6 Allroad and the steering wheel on that one is so easy that I can just use a finger to turn the wheels.

And if it isn't normal, what should I do?

Anyways I ended up buying it and I really look forward to thursday when I will get it!

Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Just test drive another! It's not the lightest steering, but as with all things, you get used to it and it's the 'norm' after a couple of weeks and your A6 will seem like a Micra

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member

Member car:

I noticed the same thing when I bought my 2.4. However, I didn't mind and went on and bought it... and when I picked up the car, I realized that the car had been standing still for a few months, and consequently somehow the steering felt stiffer because of that (steering liquid/pump issue?). I noticed that the car had been standing for some time as the previous registration ended in January and I picked up the car in June, so 6 months with an occasional test-drive every now and then (it was at a VW/Seat dealer, and one of the very few non-VW/Seat cars over there so obviously not the center of attention for potential buyers).

Needless to say, the steering got noticeably easier when I picked up my car a few days after I test-drove it.

However, it is true what giblets46 is saying: I didn't pay too much attention to the steering until I recently drove a new Honda Civic - it felt like I could steer the car by blowing on the steering wheel in comparison to the 159!

The steering is great though - you can tell that it was designed to drive at high speeds, unlike the Honda.

Mediocrity is a sin - Alfa Romeo
AO Member
County: Kent
I spent a week once with a small Fiat hire car in Italy. When I got back to Heathrow and back into my 159, I genuinely thought the power steering had failed. Actually there was nothing wrong - it's just a much weightier set-up than a lot of new cars. After a mile or three, I was used to it again.
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

Imagine what I feel every time I switch back from US rental car to my 159 Power steering settings there are crazy.
AO Member
County: Bayern
Yep, harder than most other cars in the market.. Felt the same when I bought my car. Drove a rental cx5 the last couple of days hated the light steering on the autobahn!
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 13-10-14 Thread Starter
Thanks for the answers.

@Finalfisti: I believe this was the case for me as well. Now it isn't "heavy" at all and the car is wonderful to drive. Might have been since it has rarely never been used for the last months.

Works like a charm and I enjoy every second in it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , steering