White smoke at first start of the day, 2.0 JTDm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 19-09-14 Thread Starter

County: -

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 145

White smoke at first start of the day, 2.0 JTDm

Hi, I have a problem with a 2.0 JTDm. When I start the engine goes through the exhaust white smoke. It happens only first start of the day, then it will not happen all day. The first start is not good, it takes longer than the engine starts. Thank you for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -Londonderry
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiec View Post
Hi, I have a problem with a 2.0 JTDm. When I start the engine goes through the exhaust white smoke. It happens only first start of the day, then it will not happen all day. The first start is not good, it takes longer than the engine starts. Thank you for your help
Happens to me too mate.....sometimes. 1.9Jtdm. No idea why......yet.

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiec View Post
There always seems to be a lot of water in the exhaust system (or steam out of the tail-pipe) after the first start of the day. This is on my 2.4JTD and has always been the case for the 70,000+ miles I have owned it.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
This can be caused by a few things, faulty injector(s) adding too much fuel or incomplete combustion due to low temperaures in the combustion chamber. Can be caused by low compression on a particular cylinder or a faulty glow plug.

A faulty /dirty injector could be allowing fuel to trickle into the cylinder when the engine has stopped due to the pressure in the common rail, then once you start the engine it gets ejected down the exhaust when the engine first starts. If the quantity was enough it could also leak down past the piston rings and gradually make the sump oil level rise.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall, especially if it catches fire.
AO Member

County: -kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
This can be caused by a few things, faulty injector(s) adding too much fuel or incomplete combustion due to low temperaures in the combustion chamber. Can be caused by low compression on a particular cylinder or a faulty glow plug.

A faulty /dirty injector could be allowing fuel to trickle into the cylinder when the engine has stopped due to the pressure in the common rail, then once you start the engine it gets ejected down the exhaust when the engine first starts. If the quantity was enough it could also leak down past the piston rings and gradually make the sump oil level rise.
Had a similar problem on my 2.4 which was the glow plugs. I would start there if I were you. Tests are quick and easy to carry out as is replacement. Eliminate those first perhaps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
day , jtdm , smoke , start , white

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page