Looking to buy Alfa Romeo 2.4 JTDM (200ps) - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 29 Old 18-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Greetings again,

I sold my bmw 320d, now i found an Alfa 159 SportWagon t.i 1.9 JTDM (150HP) with 180.000 KM on clock and full service history ( i think its different 159 2.4 ),

and i want to buy but i never owned Alfa Romeo, is the 159 SW reliable car? its expensive to keep compared to a golf or bmw ? what should i look before i buy it? are parts for this car expensive?

Last edited by gdeer; 18-12-14 at 21:54.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Devon
Parts are similar cost to the other two cars you mention. Ensure that you check through service history, as a car with that mileage, if looked after, will still be good for another few miles.
Also, there is a lot of advice on here about remapping the 1.9 and the pressure this could put on the 1.9 clutch.

Anyhow, don't believe all the bad stories you read about Alfas, if you look after them well, they'll look after you...
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
A criminal waste of a wonderful car. It simply is NOT for short commutes so buy something else C1, Panda, Yaris, Fabia, Dacia! etc.,.

Short commutes will mean turbo hardly ever kicks in, EGR will be v unhappy and DPF will fill up and fail since it will never regenerate.

You are lucky to get 30mpg on short commute but on longer journeys at near legal speeds +++++ you should get 43/48 even if averaging 'over the limit.

The trick is to get it remapped. All cars come out of the factory with the factory map which has quite wide tolerances so it can cope with a wide range of scenarios.

A remap costs about £350/400 (from a decent engineer - dont go cheap and dont forget to ask him/her where he/she learn his/her trade.

I had my 2.4 JTDM SV remapped and they put an extra 40 BHP on it. Standing start still not much difference but mid range brilliant, excellent for getting rid of tailgating Golf GTI baseball cap wearers. Have never taken it to the limit though - bottled out at 125 mph on a German Motorway with a Merc AMG S type tailgating me 4 feet away!

Also don't forget to change the oil and dont go cheap it's a £30,000 motor (when new) so £100 on an oil/filter is peanuts.

Finally, remember, the Brera is NOT a car, it's a WORK OF ART so be gentle with it and treat it with care. Do this and its bliss, forget it and it will bite you in the wallet.
(Post Link) post #29 of 29 Old 19-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Thank you for advices, im planig to buy 159SW TI (1.9) JTDM now , and the first things ill do are

and a proper remap

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

200ps , alfa , buy , jtdm , romeo