Calliper Paint Advice - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #51 of 53 Old 09-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
you do not have to remove them to paint them. They just need to be undone so you can suspend them away from the hub slightly.

2 x E18 Torx bolts hold each calliper in place.

1) Remove Pads from Calliper
2) Undo E18 Torx bolts and pull calliper to one side. Suspend through hole where bolt was away from teh hub to allow access to paint
3) pull the disk off (small retaining bolt holding it in place)
4) Mask Pistons & Bleed nipples
5) paint
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
I have to say that some of you guys seem to take this way too seriously. I bought a can of 'Ferrari Red' caliper paint from eBay and a spray can of brake cleaner. I took the wheels off, cleaned the caliper up with an old toothbrush and the brake cleaner, then just brush painted the caliper paint on. You can't see the piston side without removing it anyway, so what's the point in painting that side.

A few days later when it was all dry, I then stuck on the decal, and brushed clear lacquer over it with a clear-coat touch-up stick from Halfords. 3 years later and it all looks spot-on still.

There's no need to remove the caliper from the car, and there's no real need to start painting inside the holes for the pins etc either. With the wheels on and the caliper down at kerb-height, it looks exactly the same as one that was removed entirely and oven-baked etc etc.

The things that are worth spending more time on are cleaning brake dust (etc) off, taking care around the edges of the pins and the pad area, and getting the decals on straight. I think the total cost was about 25 tops.
County: UK
Ok thanks for the advice I would like to get the calipers off just to make sure it's all clean before painting but I understand what your saying, I guess it's one of those things where you can just do as much or as little as you want! As long as they look good I'm happy! Will definitely try the paint you suggest jay, makes sense to just use an all in one!

Now all that's left is decide on what colour!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

advice , brakes , brembo , caliper , calliper , paint , refurb