Just started this project finally today. Been going about 10 hours so far and am through the worst of it I reckon!
First issue was stripping down the existing callipers and getting all the pads etc out. That took a good few hours as everything was seized and just a PITA in general. Then I had the issue of winding back the pistons in the rear callipers to take the new pads and fought the handbrake for a good hour before I got it slackened off enough. Anyway.
The rears I eventually just rebuilt, cleaned up and hand painted with a a brush. The came out pretty good and it was easy enough to do. If I had not have rebuilt them etc and just did it while they were all assembled it would have been about 20 minutes a side with only the wheels to remove so very much a DIY job. I am going to do them again tomorrow with some different paint as I don't like the shade of red I used
it was an old tin I had knocking about and its quite light compared to the Auto-K paint I used on the fronts.
The fronts have been stripped down but left hanging on the car for paint so I don't have to bleed the system.
I cleaned up all four callipers using a very large amount of wonder wheels alloy wheel cleaner and Wurths Brake parts cleaner which was good enough to get the rears clean for paint and the fronts 80% of the way there. I then used a drill with wire brush attachments and took the front callipers back to bear metal and/or a heavy key before paint.
I have applied 2 coats of the Auto-K paint on the fronts so far and it looks pretty amazing, very bright and glossy, you can see why it does not need a lacquer. I am going for a third coat before I call it quits tonight so that it has a decent length of time to go off over night before I do the rebuild tomorrow.
I'll get some pics and that pulled together but given I have run out of picture storage on this forum I need to investigate an alternative and easy to use mechanism for adding pictures.