Radiator coolant bubbling. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

spider 2.2 jts

Radiator coolant bubbling.

Evening ladies and gents.

Would just like to share my experience with you encase it happens to anyone else.

So I had a bit of a blunder yesterday, had the car running with the window down as I was talking to someone, intended to turn the engine off then press the ignition again to put the window up when needed. What actually happened was me turning the engine off then immediately on again, then stopped it again within seconds. What followed was a lot of smoke looking stuff from under the bonnet. As my pants turned brown I opened the bonnet expecting the worst (I know you shouldnt if you cars on fire, but Id save my spider at all costs) plus I was parked next to my dads range rover and sl500.... Wouldnt of gone down well leaving them smoldering.

Anyway, the car WASNT on fire luckily. I quickly noticed coolant gushing from a breather hole on top of the coolant reservoir and onto the exhaust hence a hell of a lot of thick white steam, I ran in the house, grabbed a damp tower and removed the cap (another dont do, luckily I didnt get splashed) and the coolant calmed down.

I let the car and my heart/ar*e calm down a bit then topped up the fluid. I started the car and the coolant was bubbling. I checked all potential failures: water pump ect and all seemed fine.

I left the car for a couple of hours then repeated my checks, again all ok but still bubbling in the reservoir.

I nursed the car to my local garage this morning to check it over and turns out I managed to introduce air into the coolant system. So after bleeding the system all is ok.

So moral of the story, dont open the bonnet if you think your cars on fire, dont remove the coolant cap if its hot, dont be a tool with the ignition

Ps. Topgears on dave, I believe james is driving the 159 shortly tallyho
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
All that from just switching the engine on and off a few times? Very strange .
County: -

Member car:

***** romeo 159

check your water temperature and the motor fan
if the fan doesn't run over 90 you have a possibly temp water sensor problem

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

bubbling , coolant , radiator