Sounded like a misfiring old tractor on start up!!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dundee
Sounded like a misfiring old tractor on start up!!!!!

Hi There, Twice over the past 8 months I have had the same problem when starting my 1.9 Ti Sprotwagon (58 plate), diesel. I insert key and press the button, the engine starts but sounds like it is only firing on 2 cylinders. The car vibrates and sounds awful thumping and shaking. I press the button again to switch it off then she starts OK, as smooth as a diesel can be.

As I mentioned this happened at the start of the year with no problems at all until it did it again yesterday, otherwise no problems with the can. The car has covered 52500 miles and was serviced at 46000 about a year ago.

Any experience of what this might be?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
i had a 206 that used to do this if you turned the engine over straight away. someone told me to put the ignition on but wait for all the lights to go out before i turned the engine over. never had the problem again, but i got rid of the car after 1 year (and two fuel pumps).
AO Gold Member
County: West Yorkshire
You are waiting a second or two for the glow plug light to go out?

I find counting to two when the light goes out without knowing it I've done it so long.

Don't even remember where I got this advice from.
AO Member
County: Tyrone
My car can behave strangely on startup if I don't wait for the message to press the start button. I think that there may be a pressure drop in the fuel system when stopped and it takes the second or 2 for the diesel pump in the tank to reprime the system. Don't confuse this with the main engine driven pump. It might also be the car needing to run its system checks and isn't quite ready to run
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 09-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dundee
I usually wait for the glow plug light to go out and after the sort of clicking noise from the engine area has happened - this is probably something to do with the ecu and setting some switches????

From what you are saying sound like I might have started it a bit early on these 2 occasions. I drive petrol cars most weeks so might have just been used to that and mind not working!!

Thanks as it sounds like its not a massive repair bill on the horizon.
AO Gold Member
My 1.9 occasionally did this, as did a new Nissan Xtrail hire car the other day - don't worry about it, it just didn't start in the right sequence, though all on a hot start, not a cold one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

misfiring , sounded , start , tractor