Aircon Compressor 159ti - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-09-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Aircon Compressor 159ti

Hi Everybody
I just wanted to make you aware of an issue and a solution I found for replacing the aircompressor on a 159ti.
I changed the original compressor in July 2013, bought form Loyds Motors in Wembley and exatly 1 year and 1 week after changing it it went wrong. The part despite not coming from an Alfa dealer was a unit built by Valeo which manufactures for Alfa anyway. The only difference is the price.
The compressor in itself was working and what went wrong last month was the rubber seal (thais act as a spring on the clutch disk) on the clutch plate that perished compleatly.
I had to buy a new compressor which was sold to me again by Loyds Motors kindly at cost price as they understood the predicament of being 1 week out of warranty, removed the clutch and fitted on the compressor still on the car and my aircon was back.
Meanwhile I did a lot of research all over England, Italy, Ireland and no one would carry just the clutch plate as a spare part or even repair it; the common answer from everyone was that I had to buy a new compressor despite the issue was only replacing the clutch not the compressor.
I managed to contact head office of Valeo uk (same answer) and via them saurced the part was manufatured in the Czchek Republick. contacted the factory there and same answer again. I was then told to call their Valeo counterpart in Poland which distributed the part and again same answer.
Valeo are just building a compressor that eventually will let you down as the rubber is subjet to heating and will eventually parish. NOT GOOD and surely they are aware of the fault and Alfa must be aware of it too.
I have now the old compressor still on the car with the new clutch plate on it.
What to do with the new compressor???
I found with my friend mechanic that 156s were fitted with a similar compressor but the clutch is solid metal!!! No problem with perishing silly rubber and same dimension.
A trip to the scrapyard and we found the part, cleaned and polished it and he managed to fit it to the spare new compressor. All working and ready just in case I have another issue.
I hope this will save someone like me hundres of pounds on replacing a perfectly working compressor that fails just because of rubber used instead of metal to act as a spring.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park
When I worked for Peugeot (2008 I stopped), we could get the clutches separately, could be worth a check if they still carry them and to see if they are compatible.
AO Platinum Member
County: Riviera
French automotive engineering.

What do you expect?

AO Member
County: Bayern
I suppose the key here is to find which cars use this compressor - then could take a look at the clutches in those cars - anyone have ideas?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159ti , aircon , compressor