159 sportwagon 2011 rear box farting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 14-08-14 Thread Starter
County: -
159 sportwagon 2011 rear box farting

I have a 159 2.0 JTDM sportwagon 2011 (a few months out of warranty) and the rear box rattles under load and most noticeable when turned off. I say rattle, it sounds like a metallic muffled fart.....

The outer casing of the box has rotten away with pieces the size of your hand coming off from the top and the bottom, which as you can imagine, rattled as well, alas its removal didn't cure the issue.

Looking down the pipe I can see a very shiny metal wall a few inches inside, suggesting its not rotten.

Repairable or new box?

Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1398
New... get a stainless one which should last a lot longer than 3 years and most lilely cost a few pennies less
AO Member
I have a similar situation. The outer metal layer has sprung off on one side. Currently. I only hear it farting quietly when the car is regening. If it's only the outer layer that's flaking off then I would think it possible to weld in new sheet metal. I will probably see of mine can be welded back as I'm not missing any pieces, yet.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

My 2003 147 still has its original exhaust. The outer layer rotted off and I treated and primed the remains. Would have thought as long as it does not leak and there are no loose baffles inside, it should be OK...The 159 exhaust sits further under the bumper so it should show less than the 147's
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

159 2.0 JTdm Ti

I have a 2.0 JTDm. The rear exhaust box has a double skin and the outer had rotted badly before the car was three years old, making the exhaust box rattle. The good news is that the inter skin was solid and seems much more durable, so I just pulled off remains of the outer skin which fixed the rattle. It has been fine like that for several years now.
AO Member
Several years! That's music to my ears.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 2011 , box , farting , rear , sportwagon