DIY Stone chip guards - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
DIY Stone chip guards

Seeing as I'm replacing the *ahem* VW bug with the Alfa bug (I've even just bought club membership!) I thought I'd show off my very amateur rear-arch stone guard replacement.

I assume most of the cars go this way, but I like a clean car so my 'orrible standard stone guards were annoying me, and replacing them with standard ones seemed pointless 'cos they don't go far enough up the wheel arch.

So: armed with a length of a well-known brand of clear vinyl wrap and a pen, I set to work:

Here is what I had to start with, nothing out of the ordinary but grotty nonetheless:

Once removed, I could see what the paint was once like, all those moons ago:

I set to work with the wet 'n' dry, to see if I could flat off a few of those stone chips. It didn't do anything:

After polishing that mess back to the way it was, I got a sheet of clear plastic and marked out where I wanted the new/improved guards to go - then transferred the designs to a piece of vinyl that was ever slightly too short:

I decided to effectively keep the same design, just extend it further up the wheel arch, to cover off the original design fault.

Then I simply fitted them with a bit of soapy water to allow me to move them on the car, anda heat gun to shrink it round the corners. The finished result started off a bit rubbish, with air-bubbles and creases etc, but after a week or so, here's the finished results:

Hard to see with my rubbish iPhone camera, but I guess that's the idea!

May end up doing them again because they've got a few rough edges, but they'll do for now.

Whaddya think?

P.S. I take it this forum doesn't allow direct image posting due to bandwidth?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
Looks good... Mine are really bad on the spider so may look into doing this myself...

As for imaging, yes you can have direct imaging but I think it's limited to size of the file and physical image size...
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

159 1.9 JTDM

I have found that fitting mudflaps to the front wheel arches has significantly reduced the damage to the paintwork on the rear arches from flying grit. I bought some wide universal flaps off Ebay and fitted them to the liners with plastic rivets. They have been there for nearly a year now and are working well.
County: Cork
Originally Posted by OGR4M View Post
P.S. I take it this forum doesn't allow direct image posting due to bandwidth?
Good job on the guards

IMG tags are only enable in the Image Lounges. You can use attachments elsewhere, more info here (New to Alfa's and Alfa!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

chip , diy , guards , stone