159 2.4 AC issue and cold start smoke - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-07-14 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

159 2.4 AC issue and cold start smoke

Hi all!

have been Alfa owner allmost a year now and now have some issues where maybe other owners can help me.

I have 159 2.4 jtdm 210 PS (154 kW) remapped to ~180kw 460nm and DPF off.
On this summer have had cold start smoke issue, some white smoke on cold start, autocom diagnostic doesn't show any problems.
I guess it might be glow plugs ? But is it possible even when its over 25C outside?
I used some diesel additive and looks like it helped a little or maybe its hotter outside and glow plugs are not needed so much?

AC issue is weird, passenger side of the car blows cold air, driver side blows not so cold - maybe little colder then outside but not noticeably. I just had my ac refilled, it was empty for a while. Any ideas? Sensor malfunction or some ac system failure?

EDIT: Oh, forgott another issue. Engine is running unevenly on idle. Last oil, oil filter and diesel filter change was around 8000km ago. I have changed oil and these filters after every 10k km.
One suggestion was to change diesel filter, is it possible that it can cause uneven idle ?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by noodler; 28-07-14 at 11:28.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Hi Noodler,
I'd still check the AC, it may well have had/ still have a leak.Also check the sensors (the little grills by the temp dials).
In terms of white smoke, I'd check all the usual (Do you have an EGR delete, if so did they blank it or leave it, if you can blank it also, all the map does is stop the signal, can still jam open) culprits, (MAP, EGR, MAF, Inectors), the uneven idle may well be related but yes, one or two of the glow plugs may have died (doesn't always show unless they drop their current, do the whole connecting across them, the tip should glow)

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , climate or aircon , cold , issue , jtdm20v , smoke , start