How to check chain using software - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 10-07-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Brera S 2.2

How to check chain using software

Hi, been having problems last few weeks with the EML being on and power down (see other post re question over stretched chain noise). Scanner shows P0017 which my scanner software says is crankshaft sensor, however has an auto electrician check with his scanner and P0017 is exhaust phase timing.

Anyway trawling web for P0017 seems quite a bit related to the GM engine, and all seem to suggest timing problems which could be either cam sensors, crank shaft sensor or chain.

Problem came about because I let oil get low, no warning lights and electronic gauge read fine, but when I checked level was at minimum if not below. And I was only aware of low oil when I heard noise from chain, car was probably ran for 50 miles with this low level before I checked and topped up.

The more I think about it, I am thinking the chain may have slipped/jumped a tooth or 2, due to the fact that the low oil level meant the tensioner did not work correctly allowing the chain to jump. It is a new chain fitted only 3K ago so I don't think it will be stretched. Is this plausible ? would there be other symptoms. Tick over at first start is high 1250 rpm (but this has been like this since having car), but after 1-2 minutes settles to around 800rpm with a slight variation of 10-20 rpm. The exhausts are very black suggesting I assume a rich mixture.

I am just getting the MES software set up, I guess I can check the operation of the various sensors, just wondering though if the MES could show data that would indicate if the chain had jumped and therefore be mis-timed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

chain , check , software