Alfa 159 MTEC Brake discs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 20-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cornwall
Alfa 159 MTEC Brake discs

My Discs and pads needed changing so I bought a set os discs and pads front and rear for my 2008 1.9 Jtd with 305 mm Discs with Bremo Calipers.
I order them off Ebay for 199, this kits came with grooved and dimples discs with Mintex pads all round, I also went for black powder coating for an extra 25.
I got my local garage to fit them, all seemed ok then I heard and felt grinding noises when braking, the black coating had got everywhere and the paint melted into gunge. My garage stripped the front brakes to remove the excess gunk left by the powder coating and deglazed the pads, I did the rears myself.
MTEC refunded money for the front mintex pads and powder coating.
I have had Pagid pads fitted on the front. After bedding in the brakes stopped making grinding noises and vibrations through the brake pedal!

I do recommend the disc grooved and dimpled minus powder coating with non mintex pads. The Alfa stops alot quicker and there has been no brake fade.
They look great as well!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Was the actual braking surface powder coated as well?
AO Silver Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Surely you don't actually mean '' powder coated '' -- isn't it normally a coating (but not powder coated)to preserve the hub area and circumference of the disc from rust -- then the pads simply rub off the braking area ?
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
The whole disk surface is coated in a special black paint that scrapes off during the first few uses leaving any areas where the pad does not contact still coated in the black so it does not rust.

I hav ethem on mine, but with better pads. They are awesome disks!

Special Edition Brake Disc Coating
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

I had the black edition discs fitted to my GT, the black coating came off alright but I had a constant squeal when braking,it was so bad I even consided selling the car, changed the pads for original Alfa no more squeal
They do look good though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.3 KB, 14 views)
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
I got the same and found the black stuff collected in the holes and grooves and turned solid which left lines gouged into the pads and lines on the discs.

They were squealing too so I just chipped the collected black bits out with a screwdriver and everything leveled out and now they're great. Stop a lot better now and i've only got cheap Pagid pads in there.
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Don't bother with these pre coated MTEC things, you wanna pay more and get some Brembo's, they're great, I mean if you like your rusty finish, Brembos are for you my friend and the bonus is you don't have to wait long for them to rust. They do actually stop the car well tho, which is probably what Brembo care about.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , alfa , brake , discs , mtec