Took my Brera to the dealer today for a few problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTDm

Took my Brera to the dealer today for a few problems

About a month ago it started to squeal under high load (accelerating hard in low gears). It has got worse over the weeks and can now squeel when putting your foot down in 5th. Dropped it back to Northgate in Canterbury. I took the chance to ask them to look at the bogging down when pulling away that happens from time to time and the poorer than expected MPG.

It isn't fixed yet, however they have had to order some parts. The squeal is not apparently a belt as I had thought but the EGR valve and they have ordered a replacement. I'm not entirely sure what an EGR valve does but I found this thread

which seems to suggest that it might also account for the "bogging down". While they were working on the car they also noticed that the coolant level was low, on further investigation they discovered that the water pump is leaking. Furthermore there is an outstanding recall (not sure what for) and they've also ordered the parts for this. So thats a new EGR valve, a new water pump and a new something else when I was only expecting the belt to be tightened!

I am impressed with the service at Northgate, they seem to be pretty thorough. I'm concerned that it needs these bits replaced though, I've only just passed the 8K mark, so I've got another 10K until it ought to be under scrutiny.

I've found a good defintion of the EGR valve over on wikipedia

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had their EGR valves replaced as I've certainly heard of a number of people with the spongy accelerator !
Sponsored Links
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

diesel jtd and sluggish performance , EGR replaced

just having my EGR replaced now as had all the symptoms and the very cold weather certainly hasn't helped...

will hopefully get back to my GT's former self soon

keep u posted

AO Gold Member
That Wikipedia guide is out of date and there is one main reason its there in a Jtd that isnt mentioned in it, and others that dont apply.
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Sell sell sell!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , dealer , problems , today